missing birth cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing birth cert

The man in question is George Warren. He died in 1935, aged 75, in Bolton. He married Ellen Howard in Wigan in 1897 It is Ellen Howard who was the mother of my grandfather. On the marriage certificates he has put "James Warren, licensed victualler (deceased)" as his father.

George is on the 1891 census in Runcorn, living with Ellen and child at Taylors Row as a horse driver on the canal. His birthplace is down as "Enfield, Middlesex". We have found him on the 1901 census in Bolton with more children and still listing his birthplace as "Enfield, Middlesex". He is also on the 1911 census with the same birthplace.

Obviously we went to find a birth certificate for a George Warren, circa 1860, born to a father named James, in Enfield. Nothing!

Apparently his birthday was Boxing Day according to his now deceased son.

So we have everything really apart from a birth certificate which we need to go further back.

A couple of legends might or might not help. He had an accent apparently, which would suggest the Middlesex link is sound. He apparently left home as a boy and learnt to read by reading the street signs in London. When he returned home his father had died, and his older brother drowned as a boy (don't know a name).

this was posted to me on a sports forum I use - can anyone help my friend ?- I'll have a look on free bmd but I havent had a sub for a couple of years for a more in depth look about.

Birthdate a little early but in 1891 (Oops!! 1871) there is a 14 year old George Warren , born Enfield, listed as servant, occupation milk boy, living with Haward Cole and Sarah Cole in Raleigh Road, Enfield, Middlesex. Sorry that should have read 1871!
    Last edited by JudithM; 07-09-10, 12:14.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

My knowledge of london is so poor -do you know which districts involve or are close to Enfield ?
      All the births just do not add up so far -its possible his age at death is innacurate - Ive seen a census reference for a 4 month year old in the 1861 census for a george S warren but I cannot tally that with a birth ref.
      If the boxing day birthdate is to be believed then its very probable that he will be registered JFM quarter 1860/1859/1861
      Last edited by Sherlockslovechild; 07-09-10, 11:36. Reason: adding detail

Comment

the 1861 census entry for a 4 month year old George S Warren-if correct would throw up an older brother and if tracked should lead or tally with an early death - also its possible this older brother may be named after the father James.

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
          Birthdate a little early but in 1891 there is a 14 year old George Warren , born Enfield, listed as servant, occupation milk boy, living with Haward Cole and Sarah Cole in Raleigh Road, Enfield, Middlesex.
          he was in runcorn in 1891 married with kids (see original post )

Comment

I have been looking for a James Warren licensed Victualler fond one in 1861 born 1818 Melbourne Derbyshire with wife Emma but no children ?? so probably rule that one out ?

Comment

in 1891 there is a James Warren licensed victualler born 1826 Southwark wife Isabella living in Limehouse ?

Comment

Val thats possibly the father -I guess its a common name - George (the target) apparently born enfield - is this a london district?

Comment

can anyone get the image or listing from 1861 for george s warren 4 months old?

Comment

its in Tower Hamlets which is London yes , I am trying to narrow down his father as I cannot find a George witha father James Licensed victualler but of course he may have not been one early on

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlockslovechild View Post
                      he was in runcorn in 1891 married with kids (see original post )
                      Sorry, I've amended my original post. Should have read 1871! RG10/1343 folio 20 page 31

Earlier you asked about Enfield district - it came under Edmonton registration district.
                      Last edited by JudithM; 07-09-10, 12:25.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

the one in 1861 aged 4 months has a father named Lovell Warren

Comment

so edmonton it is then -will go back and look at this

Comment

theres a james warren in london aged 40 in 1861 census (household schedule number 219) - family looks promising if anyone can view it.

ditto james warren aged 49 -1861 census ( household schedule number 171)-born lancashire this one -may account for son going of to live in this area later in life?

Comment

Working...
                            X