Which war ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which war ?

I have a rather battered photo showing a group of artillerymen - Does anyone know which war this would have been, or possibly where?

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

If it's a choice between WW2 and WW1 - I would say WW1 from the style of the wheels. But then it could be Boar War or another war from this period.

Comment

Thanks, I was wondering about Boer War myself - it's a very old, very flimsy photo, and has been burnt at the edge. The terrain looks more sndy than dirt, and to me the helmets point towards a hotter climate.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

Yes I was looking at the sand as well, although they did fight in Iraq during WW1.

I suggest you post it up on Great War Forum as you're bound to find an expert on there

Comment

Thanks, Velma, I hadn't thought of that one.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Linda,

I tend to agree with your inclination and would say it was taken during the Boer War. However, as Velma suggested, I am sure someone over at the Great War Forum could help confirm this either way - they're a friendly and knowledgeable bunch!

moulie
            Luke Mouland
            Genealogist, Historian & Writer
            Kith & Kin Research
            Blog: www.kithandkinresearch.posterous.com

Comment

I was thinking the Boer War as well, having the choice. Their uniforms with those helmets for hot weather do not seem the gear that they would have worn in the fields of Ypres. Can't really be WWII as they did not have canons like that anymore, I don't think...

But, yes, have a look on such a military forum, someone is bound to be able to help you there.

Comment

Working...
              X