Name: W H Morton
    Casualty Type: Wounded
    Casualty Date: 17 Sep 1901
    Casualty Place: Heilbron
    Force: South Africa Field Force
    Regiment: Imperial Yeomanry
    Battalion: 11th Battalion
    Number: 23019

im hoping it is william herbert morton, born 1881, lambeth. is there any way i could find his army records? i believe it may be him, because he moved to south africa in later life, so he, may served there in the boer war.

His Boer war records will be at Kew.

He's listed here under the Imperial Yeomanry:

FMP has records of Chelsea pensioners, but records from 1901 onwards haven't been added yet (due this month).

If he fought for the UK in WW1 his record should be on Ancestry, if it's survived. However, I believe SA became independent in 1910 (but the political situation's a bit complicated), so if he fought for SA, I suppose his record would be in their archives. Do you know when he moved there?
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-09-10, 14:38.

Comment

Imperial Yeomanry records as far as I'm aware aren't due to appear on FMP. It's series WO97 which is on FMP. IY records are under ref WO128. Although if he went on to serve in the Regular Army afterwards, then his records may be in WO97, so they may appear on FMP or as Mary says they may be on Ancestry if he went on to serve in WW1.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I have found a couple of records which may relate to your man - age not exactly right, but not wildly out, either...

Yorks BMD http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk
        Marriage 1902
        MORTON William H ~ CROWTHER Ethel M ~ Bethel Chapel, Meadow Road, Hunslet, Leeds

Irish 1911 http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...ll_Road/12924/
        William, 33, & Ethel, 32, MORTON both give England as PoB.

There's also someone of that name who's a member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers in 1922.

Christine

PS - LOOKS LIKE THE WRONG ONE
        see http://www.steamindex.com/people/irishloc.htm
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-09-10, 17:11.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Any idea whether he stayed in the Lambeth area - the 33rd Company of the 11th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry was made up of men from the Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles - as these regiments were initially raised to protect the local areas where they were based - this could help work out if he is who you would like him to be

Cheers
          Sue
          Last edited by SueNSW; 07-09-10, 00:09.

Comment

im not even sure who he married. i know he went to south africa and had children, his wife died, and they went to england to live with an aunt, but she sent them back again! he then remarried, and had more kids. thats all i know of him really.

Comment

Working...
            X