Ftm 2010???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftm 2010???

Does anybody actually like this? I just cannot get on with it , wish I'd saved my money and stayed with 2006 .

The jury is still out with me Val. I had 2005 and when I had to change my computer and got Windows 7 I also changed to FTM2010. Its so different to 2005 and I'm in the process of going through every record to make sure its transferred correctly. I was doing (sort of) OK but haven't touched it for a few months because of more pressing things going on. The trouble is that now I'll have to go back and try to work out where and what I was up to.

I'll persevere with it but it still seems overly complicated. If I had never tried any other program I'd just get on with it but I got too used to 2005 - that probably says more about me being set in my ways than about any problems with 2010 :o;)
    Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie nice to see you
      I cannot get on with it at all it really winds me up dont seem able to find the person or the file I want ???? I am using the old programme more and more.

Comment

Must admit I've thought about going back to the old one but I think there are compatibility issues and I'm not clever enough to sort it out. If I ever manage to find a few weeks to spare I'll keep plodding on with 2010 but if I get really fed up with it I'll even think about changing to a completely different program. The only good thing is that I got money off my Ancestry sub.

And guess what - FTM 2011 is due out soon
        Jackie

Comment

Think its out now (2011) have ordered it from States as it is a fair bit cheaper from there. Do use 2010 at moment no experience with anything else.
          Have found it fairly easy to use, only thing not happy with is ability to turn it into book form rather than chart, as other members of family have shown interest and have never been able to show them what have so far(they have found the charts and reports have done hard to follow), hopefully 2011 has a better capability to turn it in to book form, as have ordered from States hope it comes if/when will let you know what its like.

Comment

I have FTM 2006 and 2008. I didn't like 2008 so didn't waste my money on the 2010. I use the 2006 one all the time now, it is so much easier to negotiate through your ancestors than the others.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

To be honest I think it is just a matter of what you are used to.

FTM 2008 was a bad product with more negative reviews than positive. There were so many things missing that had been available in 2006 and even the early free updates didn't address the issues. FTM 2009 wasn't much better. More has been added to FTM 2010 and apart from not having an internet backup option and the ability to create a home page, I don't think there is much that the current version doesn't offer. I think the reports it produces are better than 2006, although the charts aren't as there is no ability to use coloured text - although I think this is being amended in the 2011 version.

I find it easier to navigate around 2010, using either the index of individuals displayed in the left hand column or via the mini ancestral chart top centre of main page.

I think the notes/edit box permanently on view on the right hand side of the page is easier to use than 2006 and the display for this can be customised to your liking.

However, having said all that I still use 2006 for my own tree - mainly because I prefer the 2006 charts. Let's hope 2011 sees an improvement with these, in which case I will probably dump 2006 altogether.
              Elaine

Comment

I just dont seem to understand 2010 at all ?? I think its too clever ??? if you know what I mean ?

Comment

Do we know when the 2011 is out in this country??

Hi Val long time no speak
                  www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
                  http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

Amazon are giving a release date of 1 October, but as yet there is no information on the TWR Computing or My History websites, both of which normally publish a release date of new versions.
                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, still not sure what to do yet, stick with 2006 or buy 2010/11

Comment

I really think that if you are considering an update then there is no point in buying 2010.
                        If it's only a month or two until 2011 is available, and your 2006 program is still working, then I would stick with that for the time being and then get the 2011 version when it is released.
                        Elaine

Comment

You may be right Elaine, and it seem my laptop is playing up, I might have to buy new computer before anything else :(

Comment

hello Chrissy didnt recognise you ? lol I am going to stick to the 2006 not going to attempt the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              Amazon are giving a release date of 1 October, but as yet there is no information on the TWR Computing or My History websites, both of which normally publish a release date of new versions.
                              placed my order on 1/9/2010 on the ancestry store, as it is a lot cheaper than published price for here, have had confirmation regarding it so fingers crossed it will arrive.
                              Amazon are showing it at £46.99 that is fair bit more than price I hope to pay.
                              According to US ancestry site there is an upgrade version as well

Comment

While looking for a date of release of this came across this on You Tube

This is reason that have sent for it as it seems to be exactly what have been looking for, maybe of interest to others considering buying it

Comment

My copy of the new Family Tree Maker 2011 arrived this morning, will have a play for a while and let you know what I think of it.

Comment

Been running 2011 for a few days, no problem loading it on to a pretty basic Vista comp, when opening it only difference can see is colour scheme, otherwise its same as 2010. Few differences when you open the person tab, going to time line allows historical facts to be added, as yet not had play with that, the tab for relationships on the person page allows for different types to be recorded, adopted, step, related etc.
                                    You can now scan in direct which is useful, the connection with Ancestry is good, though still for me at least if do 2 searches one after another the second goes back to first search (hope that makes sense)
                                    Many have said reason they have stayed with older version of program is the report options, well this has over 20 including one the is customizable, still coming to terms with that, but seems to cover everything any would want.
                                    What am at moment very happy with is the ability to make into book form and is reason got it, can be done in 2010, but I found it a pain and so far happy with this.
                                    Is it worth buying, not sure if it is worth it if you are happy with what you have, but if looking for an easy to use program then very happy to say its a doddle to use, no idea if there are better on market, did try Legacy free version and the mormon one did not get on with either.
                                    For me it is worth buying for the book option and hopefully will be able to tailor reports for family members who are not interested in whole thing but in their own part of tree. The other thing do like very much is the places tab, this takes you to map either birds eye view or map of locations in tree and shows others who lived in area, not sure if it adds much to the program use but was very interesting and so far for me at least pretty accurate.

Comment

TWR Computing have the UK version of the program available for order - due to launch 2nd week in October.

Versions available:
                                      Upgrade version £19.95
                                      Family Tree Maker 2011 Deluxe Pack £35.90 - includes 3 months Ancestry Essential package worth £20.85
                                      Family Tree Maker 2011 Platinum Pack £49.95 - includes 6 months Ancestry Premium package worth £53.70

Purchases from TWR Computing include free postage and packing worldwide.

An offer I can't refuse - have just ordered the Platinum pack!
                                      Elaine

Comment

I have FTM 2010 and today I got an email from Ancestry offering to upgrade to 2011 - £19.99 including 1 months Essential Ancestry worth £10.95. - valid till 8 October.

I've got used to 2010 now and quite like it, except for the reports. It sounds like they've been improved for 2011 so I'm pondering whether to upgrade at the moment...

Comment

Working...
                                        X