Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help & Advise please. (Thomas Matthew DYETT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help & Advise please. (Thomas Matthew DYETT)

Any help with advise on finding further information on this case would be very much appreciated,
    Te Aroha News 5 April 1884 page 5
    Stripping a Woman in London Streets.
    I am interested in Thomas Matthew Dyett
    Many thanks Lcv
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 04-09-10, 08:31.

I doubt whether many people have access to the article, so you'd need to transcribe it.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

this is the link incase anyone would like to look

Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

From the article, I gather his surname was DYETT. That's unusual enough to be worth including in the thread heading. One of the mods may be able to help you include it.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There doesn't seem to be a birth reg for a Thomas Matthew DYETT, but there is one for Matthew Thomas DYETT in 1865 Q1 in London (Kensington). Ancestry has a baptism for him - probably (I don't have current sub to be sure).

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-09-10, 21:31.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The Kensington Matthew appears to be the son of another Matthew, greengrocer, who was b in Berkshire - judging by a likely family in 1871 - and has a couple of sisters.
            By 1881, the family has another couple of sons and daughters - and Matthew senr, has moved his birthplace to Clapham, Surrey.
            By 1891, Matthew senr is a widower, and only the youngest children are still at home. Matthew junr has disappeared.

But there's no sure way to know that this is the one you want.

Christine

Comment

I found a cutting in an English newspaper which was almost identical to the one in the NZ paper, but didn't contain any extra information.

The case doesn't seem to be listed on the Ancestry Criminal Register database - at least, not under Dyett.

What information do you already have about Thomas, and what are you looking for?

Comment

I am so sorry for not returning sooner but when I tried to post this, a problem arose and I thought it hadn't gone.
                I have just googled Thomas Matthew Dyett died 1892 and to my surprise my posting came up.
                Baptised Matthew Thomas Dyett Dec 1865- he is on 1871 & 1881 census and in 1884 he was put on remand.
                I also found him on The British Army Records 1760-1913 when FMP gave free access during the world cup, he had signed up end of December 1885 and the last entry was 6 Dec 1892 simply saying died, I cannot find anything else. Any further help would be much appreciated.
                My apologies once again and thank you for your replies Lcv

Comment

That's weird.

There's no DYETT England & Wales death registered in 1892 q4 or 1893 q1 for a combination of Thomas and Matthew as first names (or even either name), nor is there a military death recorded for a suitably-named DYETT for that period.

That leaves Scotland and Ireland, I suppose.

Christine

PS - you should be able to set things up so that you get emails when any thread you've "subscribed to" (e.g. posted on) has additional postings.

Comment

Hi lcv - do you have family in NZ? Could he have come over to NZ or Aus?

Comment

His service record seems to suggest he died in service. The 2nd Battalion Manchester Regiment were in Sialkot (now in Pakistan - then part of 'British' India) at the time.

Whilst his death isn't recorded in the GRO Army Death Indices for the period - I think it has been fairly well established that these records were not 100% complete.

There is a group on the internet that is involved in researching the Regiment - http://www.themanchesters.org - who have a fairly active forum - though a lot of activity is WW1 + WW2 based

Also depending on whereabouts you are there is an archive for the regiment at Tameside Local Studies and Archives Centre -
                      The following list is an outline of the classes of records we hold. The Public Record Office still holds most War Diaries and trench maps

Finally for those looking for the family - there is a note (undated) that his father is T M Dyett - 21 Tobin Street Notting Hill

Cheers
                      Sue

Comment

Hi naomiatt,
                        No family in Nz as far as I know, thanks for taking interest.

Comment

Hi SueNSW,
                          Thanks for the info, I have taken note of the sites and will have a look on them, maybe someone there will be able to help me.

Thanks again
                          lcv

Comment

Working...
                          X