Small victory over misspelled transcription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small victory over misspelled transcription

Just had to share my excitement. Decided to clean up my files one more time. In the first file I opened was a family tree received years ago on one of my distant twigs. Of course with all the info now available this tree started to make sense and tie in. End of file tidying. Investigate tree and put in census reference. One family dropped off the face of the census for twenty years. Argh where is William Ilsley? He was an Ag Lab in Stratfield Saye. I tried various searches. First name only, etc etc Finally I decided with the help of my many ancestors in Stratfield Saye to troll the original doc on Find My Past. There he was with wife and brother (who I had killed off by mistake. Since there are no little children in the family group it must have been son Robert not brother Robert who died) They were called Plubey. PLUBEY. How did the transciber get a P from the I. H maybe but P???? Anyway my small victory for this morning. Now I better get back to the real world. Thanks for letting me share;D
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Well done! It's so satisfying when you can get something like that sorted!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well done. You must feel well pleased with yourself.

Would you like to clean my files while you are at it!!
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Well done! It's great to hear your victory over the transcribers errors!
        Sometimes trawling through is the only way to find someone you know must be there but it's such a tedious job and of course only works if you know they stayed at the same address

Comment

Great news

My name has been mistranscribed so many ways it's a bit like the Ning Nang Nong poem!
          Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

Must have been the work of troll causing me to trawl the census. LOL
            Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I think you should come to mine and help me with these other names/folks I cant find...lol!
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

When I had Ancestry I used to amuse myself occasionally by selecting a name and going down the lists looking for any obvious mistranscription, opening the image and working out what it was, then submitting a correction.

This only worked for things like Hrwaliol and Ftylingo and Brimningnagnon of course - and I used to wonder why no one else had ever been curious enough to have a look at the image to see if that was REALLY what it said!

OC

Comment

Darksecretz. This trawling only worked because one side of my family stayed in the same village for centuries. As I was going through the pages there were three or four where practically everyone was related. And I found some teenagers working down the road. Must remember this method when I get to 1871.
                  Donelda

Comment

Working...
                  X