Electoral register 1930s-40s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral register 1930s-40s?

Could someone please help me. I'm trying to find the dates of when my Grand mother lived at an address between the 30's and 40's. Her name was Annie Dollman and she lived at 47 Kettering Road, Northampton. I'm wondering when she started to live there and who lived there too and when she left. Any help would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Sharon

you could email Northmpton Library with this request and if you are lucky they will look it up for you on electoral rolls.

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

Oh, thank you.

Comment

I don't know if they'd be keen on doing a long search through several years though.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Probably not for free Nell, one or two years I would think they'd do.

It cost me a couple of quid when Doncaster Library did a search for me for a period in the 1930's.
          Jay

Comment

There will be no electoral registers for the years 1939 to 1945 as these were the Second W War years.

Janet

Comment

Does that mean that no records at all were kept?

Comment

Sharon,

No electoral registers were kept for those war years anywhere, as there were no elections during the war. We had a coalition government, and the present coalition government is the first since those war years! It also gets worse, because there was a paper shortage and no directories are available for those years either, in fact many places did not restart their directories until the mid 1950's! You may be able to trace some people through the 1939 ration book issue, but I understand these records cost a whopping £40 for access and may or may not be of use. I will see if I can find the website for that. You must also remember that many people moved around due to the war, with many people being evacuated after cities were bombed, or people just moving themselves, so all in all it is a tricky period to obtain addresses. There were many American bases in Northamptonshire so people may have moved around due to that. There was no census taken either. But your best bet is to try Northants CRO and see what they might have, at least for the early 1930's and late 1940's.

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 04-09-10, 20:33.

Comment

Thanks Janet. I do know for a fact that she lived at that address, as my father was born there in 1940. But I just don't know from what year she started living there and when she left. I'll contact the Northampton CRO and see what they say.

Comment

Working...
                  X