Recovery OS disc full? Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery OS disc full? Help please

I have a problem with the Back up and restore facility. I have never understood it to be honest. A little balloon keeps popping up saying that my OS recovery disk is full. I dont know how it can be. But its annoying - I click on the balloon and it offers to clean up the files and then tells me O files can be cleared Can I clear all of this OS disk and just start again as Im sure Ive done stuff in the past where I have just duplicated the files.

Can you see what is on your Recovery drive?
    Is it just the operating system or do you have back ups of data files?
    Elaine

Comment

It seems to be adding files Elaine. Its all a bit mad as I noticed one day when I went to find an old document that 4 versions of it came up! I go through deleting extra copies sometimes but Im nervous wiping the whole thing as I believe it has the operating system on there doesnt it? Im just not bright enough or knowledgeable enough to even work out what is wrong with it. Clearly it shouldnt be full when Ive only about 3 gb of docs and stuff on here anyway (It says 10 gb full).
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 03-09-10, 12:56.

Comment

Ive faffed about and found 5 sets of back up files on it from July last year :( Ive deleted all but one (rightly or wrongly) and Ive also gone into disk management and faffed on there and found a thing to shrink the size. Which Ive now done and its a third less in there. But of course, I am wandering blindly amongst all this :( Giving up for now as accountant due this arvo and Ive not even found half the stuff he wants.

Comment

I presume you can see the Recovery partition on your hard drive - how big is it.
          I believe it is normal for this to ONLY hold the recovery files that are needed should you need to restore to factory settings.
          It should not be used for backing up files.

Go to All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Back up status
          Have you got your machine configured to back up automatically - can you see where you are saving these files to?
          Elaine

Comment

It has 10 GB Elaine and as I said, Ive only got about 3 GB in total in docs and pics.

Thing is I have faffed about with it so much Elaine, its probably not the same as when I first started this morning

It is currently saying that automatic back up is turned off (I remember doing that amongst the faffing) and that back up location is DVD RW drive F and that last successful back up was 12.7.2009!
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 03-09-10, 15:43.

Comment

I would suggest that the 10GB partition is designated solely as your Recovery partition.
              My laptop has an 11.4Gb partition, currently 2.05 Gb of which is free space.
              This has never changed since I've had my computer and nothing new has been written to it at any time.

If you have just turned the automatic back up off, then I wonder if it was originally set to back up to this recovery partition.
              Can you go to My computer - select the Recovery partition and tell us exactly what folders are there. Is there anything other than your "recovery" folder .. or are there too many to list?
              Elaine

Comment

Elaine, it appears in "sets" which seems to include all my docs, as I say above :( I dont know how to set it to just have the recovery stuff.

Its so confusing :(

It gives these listed first: I think I got this puter in 08 but if I click on each one there are more and more entries.

dell 1.4.08 (this appears to be a file folder called image)
                Heather-PC 3.9.10
                Program files 2.11.06
                Sources 17.11.06
                Tools 1.4.08
                Users 2.11.06
                Windows 18.2.09
                MedialD.bin 19.6.09

Program files seems to have tons of stuff like photos and programs like spybot and picassa 2.

Is there anything there I can delete and any way I can keep just the original stuff on there and make sure thats all there is please?
                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 04-09-10, 15:14.

Comment

What is the make and model number of your computer?
                  Elaine

Comment

Dell Inspiron 531

Comment

Ive been tinkering again and I cant understand it at all. I used diagnostics which told me my D recovery disk was nearly full. It tells me to remove any files not needed. Ive bitten the bullet and removed the Heather Pc files and back up set. (I have all my files and docs on external hard drive) BUT when I look there is no change in the amount in the recovery disk. Ive diddled some more and it says to remove any unnecessary programs. But surely programs wont be on the recovery disk will they?

Comment

there is lots of stuff about this out there Heather I had the same problem some time ago am trying to remember how I changed it ?

Comment

Found this Heather

Re: D drive Recovery disk full
                          The D drive is almost certainly the recovery partition from which you
                          restored back to factory settings. You should not add stuff (i.e. backups)
                          to this partition.

The best thing is to hide the partition from Vista (not from the restore
                          operation).

Start orb
                          type computer management
                          select computer management from program area of list
                          select storage/disk management

for Disk 0 there should be multiple partitions showing one of which is D
                          right click it, change drive letters and paths
                          the D: entry should be highlited, click on Remove the partion will now have
                          no drive letter and Vista will not see it.

This change can be reversed, no damage to the data in the partition, and the
                          partition is still available for restore if necessary.

Because Vista no longer sees this partition you will no longer get warnings
                          about it being full.

As far as backups are concerned you will have to select somewhere else to
                          backup your files.
                          I backup to DVD /RW but that is a lot of DVD's. Others backup to external
                          USB drives, pretty inexpensive

Comment

I think I deleted all the stuff except the recovery programme then turned off automatic back ups same as this suggestion ,

Re: Drive D (recovery disk) is full
                            this sounds like the
                            issue i had with my new laptop except for the missing drive c i found that
                            auto backup is set by default to backup to drive d (also my recovery partion
                            6gig)the trouble with that is there is no room for backups so i kept getting
                            messages saying "disc space is low"my solution was to turn of auto backup and
                            backup to dvd i now have auto backup saving to a external hard drive.This may
                            be the cause of your problem

Comment

Hi Val. I faffed about a lot last night and found a MS geeks forum. Lots of questions on there about same problem (all VISTA) and I found one thread which said that somehow the D disk had become a back up disk which it shouldnt have. They said to open the D disk and remove two files from it, one that has BIN on it and one that has the name of the puter (in my case Dell) on it. I bit the bullet and did it (1 a.m. and Id got to the kicking the monitor in phase) and blow me, the disk is now less than half full. There are other files on there and Ive put on a new thread asking what to do about those. I see there is one file called Recovery and I guess/hope thats the only file that should have been on there and which is the recovery disc for the OS. I will let you know if the geeks answer me on the board. I think they are mostly in the US so it may be later today. I thought Im mad doing this when I deleted those but Id got so tired I was past caring :( The bloke is an MS engineer so it should be ok.

I also ran a disk check on d and c disks and it did alter quite a bit on the c disk surprisingly.

Comment

glad your almost sorted ,all I have in my D drive is the recovery ???

Comment

Thats how it should be. I think that mine (and seemingly a lot of other people) had theirs formatted incorrectly.

Comment

yes mine was too Heather but I managed to sort it , just cant remember exactly how.

Comment

Working...
                                    X