Wright family of Portlaw, Co. Waterford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wright family of Portlaw, Co. Waterford

Further to a previous thread in May, I’m looking for further help please in tracing an Irish ancestor. I have a marriage certificate copy for Eliza Wright and Thomas Philpott who married in Mersham, Kent, England on 12 Oct 1874. The certificate shows that Eliza's father was Richard Wright, a tailor. The English 1911 census tells me that Eliza was born in born in Portlaw, Co. Waterford, Ireland.

There is reference to a "tailor named Wright" at the Portlaw National School's History of Portlaw webpage http://www.portlawns.com/Pages/history_of_portlaw.htm. This might well be my ancestor, but there is no other information mentioned.

I’ve contacted The Portlaw Heritage Centre (their members supplied some of the information on the Portlawns webpage) but they have come up with very little on the name. Apparently there is a reference to a Mr. Wright (but no mention of family) living in Thomas Street in 1863 but they don’t know the source of this information. They also looked up the Griffiths Valuation for 1864 there is no reference for any part of the village for the name which would suggest that he had left.

Would anyone be able to check Irish census or birth records for me? I’m particularly interested in identifying the name of Eliza’s mother, and why she (and the Wright family?) left Ireland. Any other research tips (passengers lists?) would be helpful, but please note that I live in Hampshire, England, so will not be able to visit libraries, etc in Ireland.

Have a look at the Ireland censuses for 1901 and 1911 here http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
    There are no passenger lists between England and Ireland only for going to USA, Australia etc.

Comment

If you are looking at Irish records pre 1864, and it looks like that to me, then you are into Parish Records and there is really only one way to research Irish Parish records and that is in Ireland. There are some online through various sites, some feepaying , some free, but whichever you choose, always remember that there are no complete online records. The only complete records available are in Dublin and Belfast, and for Waterford Parish Records this would be the National Library of Ireland in Dublin for Catholic Records or National Archives Dublin for Protestant Records.

Wright sounds like an English name to me and many English people ended up in Ireland when they joined the Army, and a tailor in the army around mid 1800's would be a good army trade. Have you tried army records at TNA Kew or even looked on FMP for any possible soldiers' records going backwards.

If you look at our own Irish information page you will get many of the feepaying and free websites on there where you can try your luck. You can look up your own records on Griffiths Valuation as the site below gives you the two places where these are accessible and they are considered Ireland's census substitutes as the only census that remains for public viewing are the 1901 and 1911 Census. All otrher census pre 1901 were destroyed, unless you are lucky enough to be able to track down some remnants for Waterford and you can try a google for that.

As Margaret has already said there were no passenger records kept for those travelling between Ireland and England/Wales/Scotland. This was because Ireland pre 1922 and the partition, was part of the UK and so passenger lists were never needed.

The LDS have a pilot sheme running for Ireland though I think these records are post 1864 which was the registration date for most Irish records. Do you know if Richard Wright was Protestant or Catholic because trhat will also make a difference to your research when it comes to Irish Parish records?

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 03-09-10, 21:24. Reason: extra information

Comment

Working...
      X