Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1871 census

Hi everyone,
    I have been trying to find Benjamin Cox in the 1871 census and cant track him down and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me out.

Benjamin Cox B 1823 Stourport Worcestershire

Thanks in advance

Ian

before I start looking do you have him in the 41/51/61/81 censuses ? is he married does he have any children born before 1871 ?????
    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

I've had a quick look but can't see him but you could try trawling through the pages for the district he lives at he is a lock keep and presumably stayed at the same address throughout?
      Margaret

Comment

I have merged your threads and deleted the surplus posts for you.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for looking Margaret,Benjamin was a lockeeper at Holtfleet Ombersley Worcestershire in the 51,61 census but was a waterman in 1866 when he married his second wife Harriet.
          She died in 1870,Benjamin was on a boat called the Ely at Gloucester docks in 1881 listed as an able seaman.

Thanks for deleting the post Caroline.

Comment

Right so he could have been anywhere in 1871 - rats!!
            Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              Right so he could have been anywhere in 1871 - rats!!
              Though we could probably discard any sightings a long way from navigable waterways. Interesting that he's an AB in 1881, which implies seagoing merchant navy rather than inland waterways. Could be "bigging-up" though.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have found a Benjamin Cox on a canal boat called 'Ram' in 1871, he is in Cheshire

he is stating married, but he might have been still grieving.

Class: RG10; Piece: 3722; Folio: 37; Page: 45; GSU roll: 842127.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie for looking but Im afraid its not my Benjamin he was born in Stourport Worcestershire also good idea John perhaps he was merchant navy.
                  (Sorry for the late reply ive been very busy lately and not had much time for Family History)

Ian

Comment

I wouldn't completely rule out the one on the boat in Cheshire since Stourbridge and Sedgely are within about 10 km of each other which IMO is close enough to deserve further consideration and in my family research I've often found that places in the Dudley area are listed sometimes as Worcestershire and sometimes as Staffordshire. Odd that he's listed as married, though. Maybe try to see whether you can find any family link between your Cox family and Sarah J. Evans who was listed on the boat with the Benjamin Cox Julie found in 1871? She is listed as born in 1853 in Sedgely, single, Benjamin's servant, but it wasn't uncommon for servants to be relatives of some sort. Shame she's got such a common name though.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Zoe but Benjamin was born in Stourport which is about 19miles from Sedgely.

Comment

Oops sorry, my mistake!

Comment

Working...
                        X