Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotlands People - site changes

Hi,
    Just thought those with Scottish ancestors would like to know that the Scotlandspeople website has been upgraded.;D
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Thanks - it's a decent improvement too: gives results across the piece! And - compared to E&W - still the same excellent value for BMDs!!!

Comment

I'll have to have a look. I've always found it a pain that both surnames are needed for marriage searches.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

...And the Catholic Marriages, Burials, Confirmations are on at last! Great stuff!!

Comment

Richard - you probs. know this already but with Catholic rellies in Scotland you need to be 'flexible' with the surname spelling, especially for the early records, so it's worth checking all the variations you know (and then some!). I did my research before the records were available on the site at the Scottish Catholic Archives in Edinburgh and (for the more recent - well 1880s on in some cases!) at the Parish itself ans I can vouch for some strange scribblings!

Comment

Thanks Bertie. I did find that to be the case when they put the baptisms on, finding my Irish Dundee Holohans was difficult because of the misspellings. I have already found a couple of them in the new records, and what's impressive is the new revamped Scotlands People site now has a real variety of search methods, Wildcard, Narrow Metaphone, Broad Metaphone, Fuzzy Matching, Surname Variants, Traditional Soundex...must confess not sure what some of them even mean, but hopefully they'll help find the rellies a bit easier!
            Last edited by Richard; 03-09-10, 19:19.

Comment

Hi Richard - that's interesting, and should hopefully make it easier to find what people are looking for: I agree the records being there is a big step forward. My Irish Glasgow Dolaghans became Dundee Dullichans (with other spellings added in for good luck!) If, by any chance, they were attached to St. Mary's Church in Powrie Place (as mine were) I spent a day going through the parish records there (for that and other surnames) and got a whole load of information. Just as an example of name unrecognition (!) I have McIlkenny also as McKenny, McKenna, and Kenny oh and McIlkennan! If there's a piece of software that'll deal with all those in one search that will be progress indeed!

Comment

Hello Bertie

They did use St Marys, Lochee and St Andrews. I know St Andrews is just off the Nethergate, but not sure of the location of St Mary's so I assume it is the same place?

Holohan I have had all the usual suspects Haulichan, Hoolahan, Huluhan, Hollaghan etc. The most puzzling though was the 1861 census where whoever filled out as the form has put them down as 'Hoolbevan'. If it wern't for the fact they were at the grandmothers house, and her name was correct, wonder if I'd have ever picked them out?

I don't know how up you are on Catholic ritual Bertie, but I have just found my 3xg grandmothers brothers Andrew and Cormick in a register, which I think is a confirmation register for St Andrews. It has the childs name, parents and then the childs patron saint. Cormick and Andrew are one of around 6 on a double page of 70 names, not to have parents listed, but they were by that times adult, Andrew was around 28, Cormick 40, so that might explain it. Being fairly unfamiliar with Catholic rituals myself, I'm still puzzled though as to why they have had confirmation together, and so late in life? Any idea?

Comment

Hi Richard - St. Mary's Lochee is a different church to St. Mary's Powrie Place. That's the problem with name variations through online searches - it only finds the ones you know about! Census entries are even worse in my view! Confirmation late in life is, in my experience, pretty unusual, but perhaps there was a reason for it - maybe linked to a marriage (not necessary of course, but may have come up in conversation?) I can't readily think of any other reason.

Comment

Thanks Bertie. Cormick married 11 years before this (in the same church), and Andrew 4 years after, so I guess it remains a mystery!

Comment

St Mary's Lochee is in Lochee High St and still an active church. I'm not a member but I see it when I am home visiting sister and family.
                      Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                      X