Wandiligong Relatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wandiligong Relatives

I have just found an old letter which was sent to my Great Grandfather John Cahill who lived in Rochestown, Co Tipperary written in June 1876 from Wandiligong, Victoria, Australia
    The writer is his nephew FRANCIS O' ROURKE. He relates that they are 'mining fine work which is sometimes dangerous' He also mentions a sister MARY ANN. I also know that there were brothers with the CAHILL surname in the same area who also worked in the mines who I believe are also relatives. Is there anyone out there that knows anything about that area or where I could get further information.
    Last edited by PattiS; 16-09-10, 14:58. Reason: Wrong Year

You can find Victoria births, marriages and deaths here:

and at least part of the same index is also available on Ancestry.

You may also find some information in old newspapers, but I don't think there's anything as early as 1776:

More information about searching for Australian relatives here:

Comment

I think there's a mistake in the year. The First Fleet landed 1788 in Sydney, and Victoria wasn't invented until many years later. I think the year may be 1876, not 1776.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ah, that makes sense. I was too lazy to check out the date of the First Fleet

Comment

*tut*

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
            I think there's a mistake in the year. The First Fleet landed 1788 in Sydney, and Victoria wasn't invented until many years later. I think the year may be 1876, not 1776.
            "Invented"? Uncle john, I think you mean "settled". Invented conjures up patents and the such! LOL!
            Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Comment

Melbourne celebrated its 175 birthday recently, but Victoria was settled about 1803.
              Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
              Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
              Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Victoria was "invented" in 1851, before that it was part of New South Wales, which covered all of the East Coast of Australia from 1788. The border between the two, and between Victoria and South Australia were abitrarily (I think that's the word) drawn on a map (oh, part of the NSW/Vic border follows the Murray River, but the far eastern bit is a straight line). The first settlement of the Melbourne region failed and Batman came across from Tasmania about 1836 to establish the town (Batmania) which grew into Melbourne.

Diane
                Diane
                Sydney Australia
                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

So does anyone know when Wandiligong was founded?

Comment

I googled, but the various hits just say that the town was established in the 1850s...presumably after the Bendigo gold rushes

Beverley

Comment

Whoop's. Yes I did get the year wrong it was 1876. Thankyou Mary from Italy (lovely country!) I shall have a trawl through the sites, and to all the other replies. I gather from the letters I have, that the Cahill lads, who I am pretty sure are cousins of the O'Rourke's, were looking for wives so maybe I shall be lucky and find a marriage or two.

Comment

Hello PattiS

I am new to this forum and was most surprised to see your message regarding Wandiligong Relatives.

I am the grandson of Francis O'Rourke's younger brother Timothy O'Rourke (Jr.). I am also named after Francis (and his father Francis (Sr.) who did not come to Australia - presumably he had died in Co. Leitrim before his widow Ann O'Rourke and her son Timothy (Sr.) came to Tasmania in 1855.)

I am also the family historian aged 67 years and currently doing a PhD in History.

I have extensively researched the O'Rourke family here in Australia, and around 4 years ago I had a new granite headstone erected marking the (until then) unmarked graves - in the Bright (Victoria, Australia) cemetery - of Francis O'Rourke (died unmarried), his parents Timothy O'Rourke (Sr.) and Mary Ann O'Rourke (nee Cahill), and Timothy Sr.'s mother Ann O'Rourke (nee Irwin).

Here are relevant dates concerning each of them:

Ann O'Rourke (nee Irwin) born c.1809 Co. Leitrim, Ireland, died Wandiligong (near Bright) 27 November 1880.
                        Timothy O'Rourke (Sr.) born Co. Leitrim, Ireland c. 1833, died Wandiligong 29 October 1886.
                        Mary Ann O'Rourke (nee Cahill) born Co. Tipperary? Ireland c. 1836, married Hobart Town, Tasmania, 23 November 1858, died Wandiligong 26 January 1881.
                        Francis O'Rourke born Hobart, 14 October 1859, died Bright 11 February 1927.

Francis had 3 siblings:
                        Mary Ann O'Rourke, born Wandiligong 1864, died??
                        Timothy O'Rourke (Jr.) born Wandiligong 10 June 1866, died Junee, NSW 20 February 1922
                        Richard Michael O'Rourke born Wandiligong 24 September 1871, died ??

I would be most grateful if you could kindly provide me a copy of the letter.

Yours sincerely

Frank O'Rourke

private address & email address removed
                        Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 29-09-11, 09:13. Reason: address removed

Comment

Hi Frank, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

We do not advise publicising your private home address or email address on an open forum - I have therefore deleted these from your post.

PattiS has not logged into the forum for some time but if you click on her name to the left of the first post you will see an option to send her a private message via the forum. Providing her email address is still current then she will receive an email notification of your message, and will hopefully log in to reply to you.
                          Elaine

Comment

Hi PattiS

Wandiligong via Bright, Victoria, Australia, was previously named Growler's Creek - and Bright was previously known as Morse's Creek.

Cheers

Frank O'Rourke
                            Canberra
                            Australia

Comment

Working...
                            X