West Indies challange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Indies challange

I have been asked to post a request for a work collegue who is looking for information on when a person came to the UK and how.

All the information I have is as follows;
    "his name is James Mathew Saffront, have also seen it spelt Saffrunt , Safront and Saffrant.

Estimated birth date 1868 although this does vary as his age seems to change at will and have seen it as 1873. He was married first time in Cardiff in 1894 to Emma Hookings

He then appears in 1908 marrying again in Southwark to Alice Turner

He is on 2 census 1 in 1901 showing he is living in london brithplace West Indies and on the 1911 showing living in I think Walworth with Alice Saffront nee Turner and their daughter Alice Saffront (Nigels grandmother).

He dies in 1927 last quarter and Alice re-marries in 1928 to Sidney J Richardson

Would love to find out how he came here although nationality is british in 1901 census not sure if parents were both british or could it have been mixed as it were. Anything you can find much appreciated."

Looks like a passenger list check needed and I do not have a subscription to access that, so if anyone is bored........................??? ;)

Thanks
    Trev

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

There's no James Saf*t on the 1878 - 1960 passenger lists.
    Jay

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
      There's no James Saf*t on the 1878 - 1960 passenger lists.
      Interesting, as he states he was born in the West Indies on the 1901 census, so how did he get to the uk, unless he was a working sailor and not a passenger?

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I have two people born in the Danish West Indies. Their father was a mining engineer and moved all over the place.
        So the key is to try to find him with his parents.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

His marriage certificate to Alice Turner (available on Ancestry) gives his father as James Matthew Suffrunt - occupation Engineer ?? - followed by something I am not sure of.

Elaine

Comment

I saw that lastnight Elaine & wasn't sure what it said either. Is it dead?
            Jay

Comment

Elaine I had a look at this thread this morning and didn't get round to posting would it be possilbe for you to take a snapshow of the image and post it on here for all to see or maybe send it to me in a PM as i'm curious
              WendyP

Comment

Can you read this Wendy - if not send me your email address and I´ll forward it to you.

Elaine

Comment

yeah I can read it thanks
                  WendyP

Comment

It does look oddly like dead.. at first I thought it said Vice (even though it doesn't make sense) until I blew it up a little then dead was more appealing as a word.

I've been trying alsorts to find things on this man and his surname, but with such an unusual name and a whole variety of miss- spellings its getting harder,
                    WendyP

Comment

Trevor

Would yourwork collegue consider obtaining his first marriage cert to see what kind of info he provides on that cert? I know I'd be tempted.
                      WendyP

Comment

I don't think it says Dead. I think the word Engineer is actually Engineers (without an apostrophe) (compare the other father, also Engineer, which has less squiggles) {something}. For example, Engineers Clerk, Engineers Mate. It's possible that the marriage certificate (preferably from the local RO), may be written with a finer pen nib.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The marriage on the same page is by a different vicar, they have written (deceased) in the name & surname of father on that marriage so I think it's still possible it says dead.

The third letter of the word looks to be an A as it's written the same way as Alice & Angle

I would imagine the copy at the local RO would be written at the same time & by the same hand so likely to be no clearer.
                          Jay

Comment

Working...
                          X