Clipboard ??? where is it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipboard ??? where is it ?

This is going to sound daft but I just realised you can save images on Familysearch so I did and it says it saves them to your Clipboard ? now I cant find them ? where would they be ? thanks

The clipboard is a hidden area on the PC. It only holds the current copied image or text. You have to paste this image into a graphic or photo program and save it. Then you can copy and save another image to the clipboard, but you must paste and save it again before you can copy another one.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

you are clever Wendy seems like a waste of time time might as well print it off then copy it ,at least I can find it then ?
      Thanks
      Is that this Microsoft Clip Organiser I have now found then ? if so it looks complicated

Comment

No Val the Microsoft Clip Organiser is for clipart.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

oh is it ?? its the first time I knew I had it ,and I have only had this laptop for about 18 months lol think I will do them the old way thanks Wendy .

Comment

The 'clipboard' is a term for storage of information temporarly into memory.
            Once the computer is closed, the memory is erased (Known as Volatile Memory), or if your PC needs to use the space in memory that the item data is stored in, then it replaces it (Such as copy one piece of text or image and the next time you do it, you replace the previous information).
            It is not stored in a physical place on your computer that you can access.

If you want to save images, they must be saved to your ghard drive and not copied, or if you use the 'copy to clipboard' they need to be pasted into a graphics program and then saved.

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

thanks Trevor I dont think I will bother with it again easier to print them off then copy them

Comment

Don't know about images but I was on there again today - having been working with the records for some time and as I couldn't find a way to copy each record I have been copying the details and manually typing them in to my programme. Then today I happen to notice little boxes that said Print Copy etc - how I didn't notice it before I have no idea!. I pressed copy, went into the programme, right clicked and Paste - voila - there it all was. Don't know if this is of any help to you - I've been trying to work out how much time I've wasted typing them all out!
                There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

that wont work for me ?? when I click copy it just copies it to my clipboard there are no options to copy and paste ?

Comment

I had a message come up after I had clipped the Copy box "this has been copied to your clipboard" or something like that. I didn't look for a clipboard - I literally went into the programme itself and right clicked the mouse and selected Paste. Have you tried just opening a blank word doc or something similar, clicking the Copy box in Family Search and then just go to Word and right click the mouse, then select Paste? If so what actually happens?
                    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Once you copy to the clipboard, all you need to do is use the paste command in any application for it to be put into that application while the application is running (either a graphic application or a Wordprocessor document).
                      The short-cut on most applications for paste is either a right-mouse click and chosing the paste option, or to use the Ctrl and V keyboard buttons together.
                      Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 31-08-10, 19:59. Reason: typo

Researching:
                      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Putting TrevorFranklin's observations another way, you can copy images or text from many (perhaps most) applications into the clipboard, usually by selecting what you want to copy using the mouse and then choosing Copy from a menu (keyboard equivalent of the latter is normally Ctrl and C together)

The clipboard is an area of memory, so it it not like a file or document on the hard disk, more like text typed into a document before you Save it. When you switch off the computer it is lost.

Once on the clipboard it stays there until overwritten by copying something else into the clipboard, which may happen incidentally when doing something else in a program. You can't edit the clipboard except by completely overwriting it.

In another program - or the same program - you can then Paste (from a menu or using the keyboard equivalent, normally Ctrl and V together) whatever is in the clipboard into that program - as this does not empty the clipboard you can Paste the same thing many times. The two programs can be very different. This can be a way of inserting an image into a document, for instance, or copying text from a document into a box on a genealogy program's data entry screen. If the receiving program can't handle whatever is in the clipboard in the context you are trying to paste it then nothing will happen; the best of them will 'gray out' the menu item so that you can't even try to Paste.

Often, Copy and Paste will be sub-options below an Edit main menu item. You may also see Cut there (keyboard usually Ctrl and X) which is like Copy but removes (ie deletes) the copied material from the source - it cuts it out rather than copies it; you can Paste the Cut material just like Copied stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X