Name a street after your name......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name a street after your name......

A few years ago, I got to thinking about how you could preserve your name in some way for future generations. Not just in your photos, data, stories that you collect along the way, but something more solid that will stand the test of time. It really got me thinking because of the scarcity of my name (Chiddicks), that at some point in the future the name could actually die out completely, in my direct line for example, if my son fails to produce a son my direct line dies out.
    Anyway to cut a very long story short, I wrote to my council with the history of my humble ag.lab ancestors who for generations lived, worked and married all in the same area, about the possibility of using the name in some way. After a few years an opportunity has now arisen and a new development of houses and flats in the area where my ancestors lived has now been officially names as "Chiddicks Court".
    Just wanted to share the story and it might give some people an idea of using their name in some way for posterity.
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

That's brilliant and a fantastic idea to use local names instead of some of the outlandish names they do come up with that are nothing to do with anything - or so it seems! Perhaps you could have a plaque put on one of the houses to say why the name.
    Margaret

Comment

Yes - we had that kind of idea locally. A couple had lived in a substantial house for many years, contributing a huge amount to the community. After their deaths, the house was sold, demolished, and replaced with a min-estate of quite posh houses. Initially, the estate was going to have some sort of general name, but they were persuaded to name it for the previous occupants of the property.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

What a great story.

Thanks..very interesting.

My husbands family all came from a village called Moreton Pinkney and there is a row of cottages named Prestidge Row after them. The only difference is that the cottages were all occupied by The Prestidges (rented) duting the 1800's. They are all still lived in and are beautiful (now) probably couldn't afford them.

Linda (Prestidge)

Comment

There is a road in Chorlton cum Hardy (south Manchester) called Brundretts Road which is named after the vast number of Brundrett people who lived there and from whom I am descended. Have seen it on google earth and wonder what my ancestors would have thought of that as they were market gardeners and didnt have much money. I think its nice they are remembered that way.
          Angelina

Comment

When a new Estate was built near us, the Council decided to name all the roads after men from the parish who had died in WW1 & 2. I thought that was a good way of remembering them as not many of the surnames still exist in the area.
            :D Carolyn

Comment

my family lived on a small lane in the country outside of kyneton, they named it dettmann's lane after my great grandparents.

Comment

My family had a Lane named after them......My Greatx2 grandfather had 13 children......and when two of his sons married they lived about 100metres away.....and they had 10 and 13 children too.....so it really was Marshall Lane.

Comment

Here's me at Platell Park in Queensland - named after my great great grand-uncle Claus Platell, who settled in the area in the 1860's. This is the only place that I know of which is named after our family name.

Edit: the dog's got a bit bigger since my avatar pic was taken lol!
                  Last edited by Richard in Perth; 01-09-10, 06:57.

Comment

INTERESTING TO READ THE DIFFERENT STORIES AND IT'S CERTAINLY SOMETHING WORTH CONSIDERING AND ASKING YOUR LOCAL cOUNCIL ABOUT.

Comment

We already have a road named after us...Its MADGWICK Lane in Chichester....

Jules x

Researching/ MADGWICK, RAMUS, PONT, MITCHELL, CHAMPION, GOSSLING, VAN STAADEN.

Comment

bump in case anybody missed the original post and might like to take up the idea themselves

Comment

bump in case anybody missed this before

Comment

just another update.............the development known as "Chiddicks Court" in South Ockendon is now well under way - builder Weston Homes. In fact some properties have been sold already. Will be visiting the area in the New Year so will be posting a few pics on here. Really excited about seeing the family name on the road sign, it's a small thing i Know, but marks the fact us mere commoners existed!! Will keep you posted

Comment

Look forward to seeing the photos

Linda

Comment

I agree this is a fascinating subject! We lived in rural NSW for many years, and although some of the roads were named for trees or buildings (i.e.Wattley Hill Road, Mill Road, Church Steet, & etc.) we found that most of them were named for the people who first had a property there. Now when we are driving through other rural areas, I keep my eyes open for the road names, as it seems to be the norm here in Aust. to do this.

I suppose it was an easy way of identifying where you were - Robertsons Road, was where the Robertsons had a farm.

Comment

Thats wonderful Paul. What a brilliant idea, particularly if you have an unusual name.

Fully agree, daft names they come up with now - our little Market town is being overwhelmed by applications for new "executive" estates and one lot has just the names of wild flowers for every street and the other is named after butterflies :( Neither of any relevance to the area. Except for the close directly opposite me which is a small development - lol, the close is named by the chap who lived 3 doors down from me and who was town clerk for 40 years. He was the most vehement in opposing that development but died shortly before it started being built. Im not sure if its an insult to him really

May be I could have a go at this for my Horsteads.
                                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 04-12-11, 11:53.

Comment

Chiddicks Court 3.jpg

Comment

Chiddicks Court 3.jpg

Comment

Chiddicks Court 4.jpg