Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VERY Useful Book for those searching for the Irish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY Useful Book for those searching for the Irish!

I've recently purchased a book... entitled "1916 Rebellion Handbook"

It has 1916 in large RED figures on the cover with 'Rebellion Handbook' written underneath in white....just so you can recognise it.

For anyone researching their Irish ancestors/relatives this is a must have!

There are pages and pages of names and addresses of people who were taken prisoner, stating where they were held. Also names the ones that were executed.

Haven't found any of my Irish ancestors that were executed but looks like a brother of my grandfather was imprisoned as the address was the same as Granpops when he was married in Dublin 1913!

The book also lists the names and addresses of identified persons interred in Glasnevin Cemetry and who died as a result of bullet or gunshot wounds arising out of the rebellion. Also includes those that were trampled to death by crowds in the streets.

Lots of info about Royal Irish Constabulary and Dublin Metropolitan Police Force, Names those that were wounded and those that died.

Army ....Killed or died of wounds and those that were just wounded.

Sherwood Forresters

South Staffordshire Regiment

North Staffordshire Regiment

Royal Irish Rifles

Royal Irish Fusiliers

Royal Irish Regiment

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Irish Fusiliers

Leinster Regiment

Royal Field Artillery

Leicestershire Regiment

Royal Engineers

Connaught Rangers

Army Service Corps

Royal Army Medical Corps

Lancers

Hussars

Yeomanry

2nd King Edward's Horse

Naval List
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The F. Pollard in the book WAS my Grandfather's brother!

Also found him here....http://www.interment.net/ireland/index.htm

Buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.....Pollard, Lieut. Francis Domino, d. 2 May 1970, s/o Joseph & Margaret ( Four Courts Garrison 1916)

Then, some kind person on http://www.dublin.ie/forums looked up his Death Notice for me.

POLLARD (Dublin) - May 2, 1970, at his residence, 14 Galtymore Pk., Drimnagh,
    Francis Dominic, dearly beloved husband of Louisa Pollard (nee Dolly O'Sullivan)
    late Lt. C. Coy., First Batt., Dublin Brigade, Old I.R.A., member of Four Courts Garrison, 1916; deeply regretted by his loving wife, brothers, relatives and friends. R.I.P.

I already have his birth certificate so now to order his death & Marriage certificates!
    teresa

Found this additional information in the 1916 Rebellion Handbook!

Louisa O'Sullivan is also mentioned in the 1916 Rebellion Handbook as being one of 64 Women who were released by the military authorities after having their cases fully investigated on the 22nd May.

Is this where Louisa met her future husband, Francis Pollard who was also arrested or were they already known to one another?

I have so many questions now about the 1916 uprising, and no living relatives left, of that era, to answer them! I now know that 3 of my Grandpop's brothers were somehow involved, but nothing was ever mentioned to any of us grandchildren. And Grandpops was in the British Army in 1918!
    teresa

Comment

Unfortunately everybody I come across are still very tightlipped about it. You have to keep finding the clues and keep digging! I have found one who was imprisoned but can find nothing about him, despite searching the records in TNA Dublin. I have one more avenue to access since my return from Ireland in June which may yield some info.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 14-09-10, 20:42.

Comment

Working...
      X