Death in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death in Australia

Hi - I'm trying to find death info for Miriam Meriems for July, 1990 in Australia, poss in
    Qld. She was born 4th January, 1904 and came to Aus in the early 1950's.
    I couldn't find a death notice. Thanks.

There's nothing much online for that kind of date apart from cemetery registers, and it's not quite recent enough to be in newspaper archives.

She's not listed on the Brisbane cemeteries site or the Ryerson index; there used to be a Brisbane DPS, but all the links to the website seem to be dead. You could try the e-mail address shown here (no idea if it's current):

or these links:

Is Meriems her married surname (assumng she married)?

Comment

I tried EBSCO, but there's nothing earlier for Australia/NZ than 2001. The Newspaper Archives only go up to about 1954. So you are left with a big gap from about 1950-2000. I'm not sure how you get around that.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just a thought,, have you tried writing/e-mailing to the Letters page of newspapers for the area she might have been in? I did that for Sydney and was able to make contact with descendants of a great uncle. All I had was a name, date of birth and arrival in Australia.
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Hi everyone - thanks for the info and ideas. Yes, was her married name. I've started to go through those links Mary.
          Christine, what is EBSCO? I know I'm going to groan when you tell me the answer!
          Daphne, no, haven't tried the paper(s)...problem is, I'm not sure where she was exactly.

Comment

I've just checked the Aus National Archives site, and there's a naturalisation application for a Mary Meriems, born 4 January 1904, who immigrated by ship in 1951. I wonder if that could be her? She arrived in Fremantle, and her nationality's shown as "stateless". Does that fit with what you know?

A Rose/Rosie Meriems, born 1929, also arrived separately in Darwin, by air, in 1951. It looks as though they were both sponsored by Isaac Pearlow.

The naturalisation file would probably tell you where she went next, but not necessarily where she died. You'd have to ask for an estimate of the cost of the file.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-09-10, 02:51.

Comment

Isaac lived in Western Australia, so that might be a good place to start looking:

He's listed on the electoral roll in Perth from 1943 to 1954 (there are no later elec rolls online). He was a watchmaker.

Can't see any Meriems on the electoral roll in any state, although Rose and Miriam/Mary should show up in 1954 if their naturalisation had been granted; however, judging by the file dates on the NAA site, it looks as though their applications weren't processed until 1955/6.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-09-10, 02:53.

Comment

Here she is; in Karakatta Cemetery, WA, died in 1990 aged 86:

Isaac is also buried there:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-09-10, 01:54.

Comment

Mary,
                  also arrived separately in Darwin, by air,

Where do you find Air records..??
                  Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Comment

They're on the NAA site with the shipping records - not sure what dates they cover. You can search here:

Comment

Hi everyone - thanks! I didn't think to look in WA...so Mary was Miriam..and is buried as RC. Her husband was called Menashe and I'd safely say that he had a Jewish burial. I think she must have been widowed when she came to Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                        Hi everyone - thanks for the info and ideas. Yes, was her married name. I've started to go through those links Mary.
                        Christine, what is EBSCO? I know I'm going to groan when you tell me the answer!
                        Daphne, no, haven't tried the paper(s)...problem is, I'm not sure where she was exactly.
                        i'm not sure what EBSCO stands for - it does look like an acronym. On our library section for Internet Resources / Newspapers and Magazines online, there are a number of sections, including the TDA and C19th BL Newspapers. One item is EBSCO, described as "UK Reference Centre Full text and bibliographic information for general reference publications, including journals, biographies and images, some dating back to 1975."
                        My library card gets me to a page starting http://web.ebscohost.com That link doesn't get anywhere useful, but this one seems more informative: http://www.ebscohost.com/

The resources cover materials from Australia & NZ, Canada, USA, as well as the UK and Eire.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine..I'll have a look at the link.

Comment

From that source of all knowledge, Wikipedia!

EBSCO Industries, headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, is a privately held, widely diversified corporation and the largest subscription agency in the world. It was founded in 1944 by Elton Bryson Stephens (hence the EBSCO acronym Elton B Stephens COmpany).

Cheers!
                            Richard

Comment

Thanks Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X