Witnesses at weddings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witnesses at weddings

How did our ancestors choose who was going to be a witness?

I have my 2 x G Grandad's marriage certificate - John Fogg marrying Ann Winterton in Ashbourne, 1855.

The witnesses are Phyllis Shaw (his sister was married to a Shaw, so that will be the connection there) and Edward Fogg.

Now, I have no idea who this Edward Fogg is or where he fits in to the scheme of things. I'm HOPING he is a relative so that I can connect him to my tree and therefore push further back.

I suspect he is Edward Fogg born 1823, Clifton, Derbyshire as he is a similar age to John. I know lots about this man, but what I don't know is HOW he is connected. All of this is in my quest to find Sarah Fogg's origins, John's mother.

Edward Fogg had an aunt called Sarah - born 1783 Ashbourne and I would be inclined to just think that is my Sarah - but the problem lies in the DOB - my Sarah is documented as being born in all sorts of time scales between 1789 and 1796...

Any thoughts please? Thank you
    Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

turning this on its head abit, do you have other certs for johns siblings? if so, do the witness' on those give any other clues?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

That is a good question Julie - and just when I was about to say no...went to have a look see!

And - I DO have the cert of his sister Selina's marriage to John Shaw. However, this was in 1840 (her being 9 years older than him) and so almost an entire generation difference. The writing is dreadful to read, but I think both witnesses are called something like GATHER...definitely nothing like Fogg.

He didn't have any other siblings - except that I have still got a random Frances Ann b 1834 half connected as a sibling - maybe we ought to find out who she really belongs to?

Hmmmm
      Just Mandy

Comment

Hi Mandy

Just been having a quick look for you.

Ashbourne bap are not transcribed on Family search between 1785 and 1813. Probably when Sarah Fogg was born.

Did Sarah marry as she is down as a single mum on John and Selinas bap but widowed on the census.

Also found Edward Foggs marriage to Harriet Yardley with father Edward. I am wondering if Edward senior and Sarah are brother and sister but without their baptisms it is hard to find out.

Do you have them on 1841 as I can't find them, also do you have Sarah Fogg's death certificate.

Not helping much but am I on the same track as you?
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Lin - you are totally on the SAME track as me - whether that is the right one or not - LOL!

Selina and John were both registered in the baptism records as being illegitimate. There has never been any evidence of her being married to anyone either.

I have Sarah, John, Selina and husband John Shaw on the 1841 - I've had to do a lot of changing names on there these past few days, the mistranscriptions of the name Fogg sounds like that poem - On the Ning Nang Nong!

I don't have Sarah's death certificate - I can almost guarantee it will be Selina being the informant since she lived with them throughout her life.

Now - Edward Fogg born 1786 married Mary Wibberley in 1807 - the parents of Edward Fogg b 1823 married to Harriet Yardley. Edward Snr HAS a sister called Sarah - b 1783... I just want her to be MY Sarah and that would be that - but I just can't make it stick!!

I'm guessing a trip to the RO to find the baptisms of all these people might help...or the death cert of Sarah might help with a DOB?

Just to add to the mix...(and I was just about to post this!) I also have another child for Sarah - Frances Ann b 1834. She doesn't appear on any of the census so I presume she died before 1841- but can I find her?? I have looked under Frances, Ann, Frances Ann - and even assumed she could be Selina's child and looked under all those variations with the name Shaw!

HELPPPPP!!!
          Just Mandy

Comment

I'm laughing here but have you tried Fanny!!. Fanny Ann Fogg just made me laugh but could be right!!
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Lin - YES I even posted that as my Facebook status because it made me laugh so much - and it got me a tea date!
              Just Mandy

Comment

Was Mary Wibberley feeling a bit Wobberly at her wedding , I wonder?
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                  Was Mary Wibberley feeling a bit Wobberly at her wedding , I wonder?
                  Maybe John - there was a woman who was the head of a localish school by that name -and she frightened me - never mind the kids!
                  Just Mandy

Comment

Working...
                  X