One Name Studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Name Studies

Has anyone ever contacted anyone on the one name study register?

There is someone listed I'd like to contact, but since it is just an address listed for them, it seems a bit long winded in this day and age. It suggests you may become a member - for £15. Is anyone a member and how does this benefit you?

Cheers
    Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

I have used the services of one name studies and have found many people by doing so. An address may be long winded these days, but do not knock that altogether, as many people who did a lot of work many years ago on a particular name may still not be on e mail. I would not assume that those with e mails will be better than those without, for one name studies. Take the plunge and give the address a try, giving your e mail address just in case. You may be pleasantly surprised or you might be disappointed but until you try you won't know.

I have never become a member but doesn't that mean that you are then offering to do a one name study, with all the conditions that are imposed by so doing?

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 29-08-10, 12:26.

Comment

Thanks for your help Janet. I'm probably going to get in touch anyway, but was just looking at some other thoughts.

I can imagine that many people doing ONS have been at it for many, many years and did most of their research the old fashioned way...as I used to when I was younger!

Thanks again
      Just Mandy

Comment

My friend ran a registered one name study and did most of her work pre computers.
        She has hundreds of certificates, news cuttings, Wills etc and has enjoyed helping many people with their research.

If you contact a member you could include your e mail address as they may have 'moved on'
        They have an obligation to answer you within a reasonable time....Please include a SAE.
        You have nothing to lose and possibly much to gain.

Comment

Thanks Gwyn.

I had read the suggestions on the site and understand about the SAE and timescales. I guess I'll just have to make sure I am detailed with the information I give to start with.
          Just Mandy

Comment

I contacted a person via email who was doing a one name study, with my Grandmothers brick wall.
            I had a very quick reply and he said he would print my problem in his monthly journal.
            Hows that for service.

June

Comment

Wow June - that is good - I don't suppose for one minute its the same name as mine!
              Just Mandy

Comment

Webb

Comment

Originally posted by JuneR View Post
                  Webb
                  That would be a no then! Thanks anyway
                  Just Mandy

Comment

I would like to add that it was a one name study that broke down my brick wall of many years, and yes he was on e mail and all my info came back by e mail but as Gwynn has said they do have an obligation to reply, unless you are unlucky enough that the person doing it, has passed away and nobody has thought to tell the One Name Society. That did happen to my OH once, and son replied about six months after he wrote for the information. Don't think that happens very often but it can happen!

Janet

Comment

I know what you mean Janet - I still get letters and phonecalls for my mum now - and she died 11 years ago!
                      Just Mandy

Comment

I contacted the ONS researcher for CHRISTMAS, when I wanted to clear an indirect-line puzzle, and he came back with lots of useful info very promptly. Ever since, I have steered things his way, as and when I come across them. Sometimes it's info he has already, but sometimes it's new and useful - and may help someone else one day.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                        X