Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to work out what an amount in 1891 is worth today ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to work out what an amount in 1891 is worth today ?

Found somebody in the probate records am surprised he did not leave a lot more
    How much would £83.8.5 be worth today thanks ?

£6,750.00 using the retail price index
    £8,910.00 using the GDP deflator
    £40,500.00 using the average earnings
    £49,300.00 using the per capita GDP
    £80,700.00 using the share of GDP

Where did it all go

Edna

Comment

Thanks for that link Edna, I have a letter where his grandaughter outlines where some of it goes, but after employing 14 men and 66 women I would have thought he would have a lot more .

Comment

Often people with money and businesses disposed of it outside of the will because of the tax that would otherwise be due. So the factory may have already passed to a child, the house to the wife and shares /bonds etc to grandchildren. I went to a talk by someone who was an expert in ancient wills, reading, transcribing and interpreting and that's what she said happened quite often.
        Margaret

Comment

thanks Margaret I am going to get the will want to see who is mentioned.

Comment

If you want another valuation, the National Archive's own currency converter is here:
            Try our online currency converter and find out how many animals, stones of wool and quarters of wheat you can buy, and how much you could earn.
            Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

thats funny I was just on there and it mentioned this but I couldnt find it? thanks Sal will bookmark it

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                thats funny I was just on there and it mentioned this but I couldnt find it? thanks Sal will bookmark it
                It's very well hidden! I knew it was there but I couldn't find it either and I ended up emailing the webmaster to ask for its location - and when he replied I bookmarked it so that I wouldn't lose it again!
                Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Working...
                X