I just cant get started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just cant get started

Having seen the pleasure I got researching my family tree my partner decided to do the same. Although she is in her sixties she had plenty of oral history and family evidence.I suggested that a start would be a copy of her birth certificate as she had only had the "short" form. The mother on the form was not the person she called mother!! Within weeks we had ascertained that her parents had divorced in 1946. Her father and this other woman had had a child in july 1947 and in October 1947 the couple she knew as her parents remarried! We can only assume an early form of surrogacy. no adoption and as her father is named on the birth certificate we presume it is legal. ok the question is that we have a name but no age listed for her mother . Therefore any hits on ancestry etc we have no way of verification.Any suggestions please? All this is in Leeds and the address listed for her real mother is a hotel.

What a shock for your partner!

I can only suggest you post some more information and names and see what the kind people on her can do! I'm guessing that a few certificates might be needed!
    Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

can you give us a name to seach for please

Joyce

Comment

Would there be any more details about the birth mother on the divorce papers, if she was named there?
        Maybe a different address would be shown and then checked on old electoral lists in the hope of finding family names too.

Comment

the birth was 10th july 1947 the mother is listed as possible living person otherwise name removed . Name removed is her fathers name but as he only received the decree absolute the week before the birth ,and remarried in October, we assume they were not married. and in registration terms the word otherwise is possibly significant! So name removed is of child bearing age in 1947 and thats all we know! As for my partnrer being shocked its that her loving parents kept the secret of her birth and the divorce for over 50 years
          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 28-08-10, 20:15. Reason: names of possible living persons removed.

Comment

divorce records are destroyed all we know is that the divorce was not for adultery as a correspondant is not named on the nisi form. the mothers address on the birth certificate is a private hotel and that has intrigued us. Was she a guest or part of the family? because the owner of the hotel shares her christian name and one possiblity on ancestry is a birth in cambridge in 1923.where the mother of name removed is name removed formerly name removed

Comment

Numpty - welcome to Family Tree Forum. I do hope we can help you in your search for more information. However, our Ts and Cs do not allow the pubication of details of possible living people - therefore I have had to remove the names from your posts.

I am sure some of our members will come up with some ideas for you and if necessary you can share the name details with them by PM (personal message).

Fingers crossed that you get some answers soon.
              Elaine

Comment

Does the birth mother feature in electoral lists for the hotel?...before and after the birth.A full name would show the middle name.
                This would at least indicate an age of 21 +.
                Can any other named people there help to indicate a family group?
                I wondered if the birth mother died and that is why the child was raised by her father, but there is no obvious indication on Ancestry.

Comment

sorry elaine just getting excited.I can verify that all but the mystery person (and of course my partner ) are now dead

Comment

In 1947 the age was 25 for the electoral register and electoral registers were not kept for the war years. She is at the hotel in 1947 but not after but as electoral registers are compiled in advance it doesnt help

Comment

Originally posted by numpty View Post
                      sorry elaine just getting excited.I can verify that all but the mystery person (and of course my partner ) are now dead
                      No problem. If I have deleted any names which refer to deceased persons, then please feel free to add them back in by editing your posts.
                      Elaine

Comment

If birth mother is listed in 1947, that suggests a residency and so a possible link to the owner.
                        Was she listed for 1945 and 1946 too.?
                        Again a sighting might help with age.

Comment

electoral registers were not started after the war till 47. we have checked the electoral register until mid 60s and it suggests some longterm residents.

Comment

I feel sure I've viewed post war lists earlier than 1947.....

Comment

apparently not for leeds.spent a couple of days in the local study section.the movement of people during the war means that we cant assume that the mother came from there. indeed there is no obvious connection as the father came from peterborough and the family itself from nottingham need a crystal ball or time machine!

Comment

Numpty, I've sent you a PM for further details please.
                                Margaret

Comment

Did you check the Electoral roll for the other Leeds address? Maybe there are some street directories too that might help.
                                  Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                  X