No announcement yet.

Missing sister's on the 1871 census...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing sister's on the 1871 census...

Hello Folks,
    I have 2 missing sisters on the 1871 census...any help will be much appreciated...

1861 4 Cross St West Bromwich, Staffs.
    KEZIAH HALE, aged 9, b1852
    JEMIMAH HALE, aged 7, b1854
    ( with parents & siblings & I have found the family on later censuses')

1871 NO SIGN OF THESE GIRLS AT ALL, not with parents in West Bromwich.

1881 Jemima Hale is now 27 & a pauper in the Workhouse in W/Bromwich. She is also there on the 1891 census. Note: found her in B'ham on the1901/1911 census.

1881 11 Broad St, Kidderminster, Worcs.
    KEZIAH SHELDON, 28, b W/Bromwich ( Married in 1880 in Kidderminster)
    David Thomas Sheldon, 29.
    With 3 children from his 1st marriage plus an infant son from her marriage to David Thomas Sheldon. Note: Keziah died in 1898 aged 46. I have the info from the 1891 census.

Soooooooo....where were Keziah & Jemimah on the 1871 when they were aged 19 in Keziahs case & 17 in Jemimahs ???
    Your help is needed please in locating them....
    Many Thanks,
    Margaret.
    Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

sorry cannot find either of them

Comment

I can't find anything either. Sorry
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I see that the surname in 1861 is actually HALES - with an extra S at the end.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've tried all sorts of things without any success - sorry.

If Elaine spots this, you may be in with a chance. Otherwise, I'd just keep trying wildcards on Ancestry (if you have a sub), and less-is-more, and "how could this be mistranscribed?". For example, H can look like W or M or N or K or R in some scripts.

And they might be just under their initials - or under a different first name if they were employed as servants and their employer thought they should have simpler names like Mary and Susanna.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I looked too, and no luck. Just like Christine, I wondered if they were entered under initials - many people in workhouses were just entered by initials so you would have no chance of knowing who they were.

I searched using FMP and not Ancestry, and still no joy.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hi Margaret,
              I just came across a Jemima Hale just yesterday....: Bear with me while I dig out the details.
              Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Comment

Ok, maybe not yours, but :
                Jemima Helen Hale b. 1838 harefield, Middlesex, Father Mark Hale.
                Married John Tidd Costall 15/9/1855 St. Barnabas Church, Middlesex
                Witnesses: Charles Soloman Hale and Thomas Smith?
                Children: Jemima Mary L Costall, Emily Claire, Mary Annn and Sophia Elizabeth

Thats all I have so far...but could be connected...not sure how far Staffs is from Middlesex?
                Jackie
                Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Comment

Jackie - Staffs is a fair old trot from Middlesex and while it's not impossible, it would be unlikely to go so far away. Well found though - still could be her!
                  Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

Thank you all for your time & patience in searching for these girls....I think I am going to just have to accept that they do NOt want to be found on the 1871 census. Sorry Jackie...this is not my Jemimah as she was born in 1854 in West Bromwich & it doesn't look like she ever married at all, but once again many thanks for looking for her.

Regards & thanks again,
                    Margaret.
                    Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Comment

Working...
                    X