Golt Family - Spain and America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golt Family - Spain and America

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help on the Rogers/Snook/Banger family (mine). As my family research has gone fairly well, my OH wanted me to look into his father's side.

The problem is that I have only confused information, my MiL is not well and doesn't seem to remember much about her husbands family. This is what we know so far, FiL deceased Jamie Golt he may have been born Spain or Gibraltar, we think his parents were Elouisa(family not sure of the spelling) xxxx (not sure where she is from possibly Spain or Gibraltar?) her husband we think was Horace or Horacio (again not sure of the spelling) family folklore suggest that Horace/Horacio might be Scots and have been stationed in Gibraltar or it may have been his father.

Have been doing searches using possible dates of birth 1895 but have only come up with an Adelaida Golt on a passenger list fromn Gib to USA. I can't seem to find Adelaida Golt in USA after the passenger list which was 1929 (I'm thinking a possible sister of Horacio?).

Anyway my questions are:
    1) on ancestry worldwide would it pick up any Spanish and/or Gibraltar births or baptisms? and

2) could Adelaida just have disappeared when she arrived in USA, I believe from the passenger list she was married but no husband detailed but there was 2 children one named Andreas.

Hope someone can advise on above. When possible my husband is going to look at info in parental home to see if it helps, but not sure when this might be possible.

thanks in advance for any help. kind regards Ali

There's a marriage for a Jaime Golt in Paddington in 1954 which might be him (Jaime is a Spanish name). If it's the right marriage (you'll find the wife's name on Ancestry), the marriage cert will give his father's name.

Comment

Hi Mary, the marriage on ancestry is certainly correct unfortunately need to get to the papers in my MiL house to have a look at the marriage certificate which isn't possible at the moment. However we do know that grandfather was Horace or Horacio, but not sure if he was born in Gibraltar or Spain or even Scotland. Nothing seems to come up on ancestry for either Horace or Horacio and I was wondering is ancestry holds information about birth, death, marriages or residence of Spain or Gibraltar?

If relative was born in Spain if ancestry not got information where might I be able to get info?

Ali

Comment

You could try www.familysearch.org and under the search tab select 'record search pilot'. This section has the option to select Spain or USA - I tried just putting in Golt and nothing else and the results came up mainly in USA and there was a Horace Golt listed as father to Elsworth Golt and then further on Horace birth 1869 in USA. Not necessarily your people but worth looking at.
        Margaret

Comment

I had a look at the Adelaida Golt you found - in 1929 she was aged 34 and travelling with children (H)erminia, 7, Andres, 2, and Hilda, 7 months, to join her husband in New York. His name's a bit hard to read, but looks like Hortenzio. The whole family appears on the 1930 census in Manhattan; this time, his name looks something like Adenio Golte (but it's been transcribed as Adonis Golde). He arrived in the US in 1928. His mother-in-law (presumably Adelaida's mother) Amenia Saccone, 49, is living with them. They were all born in Gibraltar (and all say that their parents were born there too). On the passenger list it says Adelaida and children were Spanish speakers, but on the census it says the whole family were Portuguese speakers, which seems a bit odd (probably a mistake).

You'll find some resources for Gibraltar here:

Comment

Hi Mary, thanks for the Gib link must have missed it by not scrolling down the full page. Also for the extra info on Adelaida's husband, how did you find it? And what of the chances of the family name changing permanently due to the census incorrect recording? Oddly enough family folklore suggested that a relative who was a Tailor by trade when to America but no verified info available perhaps it was Adnenio???

As an aside how is the heat in Italy? its a whopping 41c here on the northern Costa del Sol today and thats in the cool mountains!!

again thanks for you info and help, Ali :D

Comment

There are two pages of the 1929 passenger list; in one she's shown as Adelaida, and in the other as Adelaide. One of them shows the name and address of her husband.

Apparently some people did change their surnames because they were incorrectly recorded by immigration officials, so I suppose a name change is always a possibility in this case.

Not too hot here at the moment (although it feels like it, because I've just got back from England). It's about 28°C and humid during the day (we had a thunderstorm this morning), and a bit cooler at night, but we're in Northern Italy, just below the Alps. It's 40-ish down south, I believe. The temperature did go up to about 38°C here in July, though, which is too much for me.

Comment

Mary, once again its probably me getting too excited thinking I've found a link and not looking better at it. We're off back to the UK on Thursday and thinking trousers will be funny to wear again

Comment

By the way, I forgot to say that Adenio/Adonis was a waiter in a restaurant.

Comment

The Golt surname could originally have been Gault.

Just a thought.

Comment

Hi Hugo, thanks for the thought, another of the "Golt" familylore is that the name was once spelt Galt and came from Scotland, but as I'm not getting very far with FiL's parents Eloisa and Horacio partly because nobody in the current family are sure how to spell the names and I rather suspect that they may have been born in Spain and I no not where??? I think I will have to take a trip to Gibraltar to see if I can find anything. I was rather hoping that Adelaida might have been a sister/cousin either directly related or by marriage and that she might lead me to Eloisa and Horacio, but nothing so far. Ali

Comment

Working...
                      X