Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Yorkshire records offices!

Hi

I have decided that im going to take a couple of days off and visit Yorkshire records offices, however looking at the list of parish's i have im going to be going all over the place.

The parish's I need to look up information on are:

Cawood - Borthwick
    Fridaythorpe - East Yorkshire
    York - Borthwick
    Garton - East Yorkshire
    Bishop Thornton - am waiting for North Yorkshire to confirm if this is covered
    Ripley - as above
    Hartwith - as above
    Wetherby - Leeds
    Kilham - East Yorkshire
    Huntingdon - Borthwick

I dont suppose there is an easy way of doing this?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Lucky you Robyne - I have loads of ancestors from the Leeds area. Lovely part of England it is too. Good luck.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

im not sure but i beleive the records office is now in the town hall not sure... i was married at leeds reg office in 1962. you could email them and ask them how the best youcan do it.brenda xxxxxxxxmy family are still in leeds.
      Last edited by Guest; 26-08-10, 11:12.

Comment

I wonder if any of these records offices hold copies of the registers from other areas? eg My lot come from Suffolk and although some original registers are in West Suffolk (Bury St Edmunds) some in East Suffolk (Lowestoft) and some in Ipswich each of these three records offices has microfiche copies from the other areas.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

If it's just parish records on film you need, then the good news is that the microfilm reading room at the Borthwick is open very late (till 11.30 p.m. during term time) and at weekends, on a help yourself basis. You don't need to make a prior booking to use this room, as it is part of the general resources and facilities of the university Humanities library. However, if you've never been before, an appointment with the Institute itself will ensure that a member of staff explains the indexing and film locating system.
          For other resources held by the Institue, then you would need an appointment for when the Institute reading room is open.
          The last 3 times I've been to the Treasure House at Beverley I've just popped in on the off-chance and have always managed to be granted a seat in both the microfiche and document reading areas. (If you can commit to a definite date, then an appointment always ensures a place!)

Where are you hoping to stay, which is central to York, Beverley and Northallerton?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Unfortunately Yorkshire records are a bit of a minefield if you are not sure of the area. All the Archives have good on-line catalogues and some do hold microfiche for overlapping areas. Its worth a couple of phone calls if you think they might 'overlap'.

Having said that I have had to visit Doncaster, Sheffield and Wakefield archives in order to look at what I needed for my family! Also Beverley for OH's family - the new Archive there is lovely - loads of room.

Sounds as if you'll need more like a couple of WEEKS rather than days! If I make a trip to any archive I usually spend the whole day there and its gone in a flash and I still haven't finished!

Good luck
            Anne

Comment

Thanks all, im not sure of the area at all and being in Southampton I probably couldnt get much further away!! Im hoping to stay in York and im up in Cheshire one weekend so im hoping to go on from there (via many means of transport as my husband needs the car!!) At the moment it looks like a split between Borthwick and West Yorkshire are my main priorities as I could really do with the Wetherby and York records more than anything else to be able to go back further, although the N Yorks ones i could do with too! Im going to come home on Tuesday night so I will have 2 full days of travelling backwards and forwards!!
              Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
              X