census help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• census help please

I managed to go to the library last night and had access to ancestry where I was able to search teh woolwich board of guardians records for their admissions to the metropolitan district school. I had mixed emotions as I found Maria and Charles BUTLER but for their parents was written NIL but all the other kids names had some sort of detail about their parents i.e deceased or inmate etc. I di however find where they went or their service and found that Charles returned to the school on accound of bad behaviour.
    Anyway now that Ihave confirmed the dates I have found a death of a Maria BUTLER aged 84 dec 1877 Lambeth and they were admitted to the school Jan 1878 so I am wondering if CHarles and MAria were with their grandmother. Not explored this one yet as I have been looking for their parents but this ones death ties in with the dates of their admission.
    So can Maria BUTLER c 1793 be found on the 1871 census or 1861 census as that may give me a child of hers that may or may not be one of the parents of my BUTLER children.

I wonder if this is the Maria who died in 1877, age 79 in 1871. Unfortunately she is living as a lodger in Lambeth. There's no other Butler's living there.

Maria ButlerAge:79

Estimated birth year:abt 1792
    Relation:Lodger
    Where born: London, Middlesex, England

Her ocupation is Monthly Nurse and the household address is 85 Union Street Lambeth
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

oh well thats another hunch halted...lol

Comment

I have come across a couple of baptisms on familysearch that could hold a clue....
        There is a baptism for a Charles Fredrick Jones Butler and a Maria Mary Ann Jones Butler 24th May 1874 at Southwark. Parents are a Charles Frederick Jones Butler and Mary Ann. Could somebody look at 1871 census to see if these are there. I am wondering if they could have been transcribed as Jones instead of Butler.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
          I have come across a couple of baptisms on familysearch that could hold a clue....
          There is a baptism for a Charles Fredrick Jones Butler and a Maria Mary Ann Jones Butler 24th May 1874 at Southwark. Parents are a Charles Frederick Jones Butler and Mary Ann. Could somebody look at 1871 census to see if these are there. I am wondering if they could have been transcribed as Jones instead of Butler.
          The LMA on Ancestry have a few more to add to these
          All resident at 18 Thurlow? street, Walworth Parish,father Charles Frederick Jones Butler, mother Mary Ann; father's occ. 'engineer', all bapt. 24 May 1874 (obviously a job lot)
          1. Florence Spring Jones [Free BMD says b. JunQ 1874 St Saviour Southwark)
          2.Maria Mary Ann Jones
          3. William Jones (Free BMD MarQ 1870 St Saviour)
          4. Charles Frederick Jones
          5. Alice Jones (Free BMD has an Alice Jones Butler b. Mar 1867 Newington ;d. Sep Q 1902 Croydon)
          Last edited by Macbev; 26-08-10, 13:26.

Beverley

Comment

LMA also have the marriage of Charles Frederick Jones Butler, bachelor to Mary Ann Pharo? Scott, spinster, 3rd calling of banns 3 June 1866 St Mary Newington

Beverley

Comment

thank you for those details.
              difficult to know if this is a connection as I only have Maria and Charles but there appears to be 2 other children with this family

Comment

Working...
              X