Lloyd / Brace History Help Needed to this puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lloyd / Brace History Help Needed to this puzzle

Can anyone shed some light on the following, I am a descedant of the Lloyd / Brace family, I was given the below info and am trying to piece it all together. The Lloyd family is a brick-wall to me.

There was a great rift in the Wilesmith family about 1909 due to a prominent court case in Worcester involving one of the Family, Mary Dorcas Wilesmith and her son. It is a very complicated situation which would need the entire chapter of the family history to obtain comprehension. Having said that Frederick's father was a wealthy man as were most of the Wilesmith Family having two Timber Merchant and Hardware business based on the river Severn. The timber mills were in existence for more than a decade however the rift was not of Frederick Edwards making but he chose to distance him self from the family moving to Leeds in Yorkshire taking his newel married partner (Sarah Brace) with him.

What was the LDS connection I have heard it is a long and intriguing saga suffice to say it involves several prominent families the Lloyds of Stuart and Lloyd fame and the Padmore's all very prominent Quaker families. Also George Booth the founder of the Salvation Army often stayed as a guest of John Wilesmith and wife (Emma Padmore). Their son also John married Mary Selina Johnston a descendant of the Lloyd family. It was she whom was sealed to the LDS and gave all the considerable family wealth to the church which alienated many of the family including her own children, two sons were packed off to Canada with just a ticket and a few Dollars.

Thank you

Michelle

The court case which you refer to was possibly in 1911. There is a report of a cruelty case in the Times Digital Archives - Mary Dorcas Wilesmith, her son and Geoge Turner, bailiff to Mary Wilesmith were charged with gross cruelty to Florence Pastorfield, age 13. Mrs.Wilesmith and George Turner were sentenced to 2 years hard labour.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine

How do I access Times Digital Archives, I would love to find out more, I am sure that is shy I keep hitting a brick wall on my Lloyd side of the family, too many ghosts. My uncle mentioned to me that it was either my great great grandmother Lloyd who gave away all the family wealth including the house to the church, I don't know anything else. Dr Carl Chinn did several newspaper articles on the Lloyd family resently in the Birmingham newspaper but I can find anything or the articles, do you know where I can look.

Regards

Michelle

Comment

The Times Digital Archives, as well as the 17/18 Century Burney Collection and the 19th Century British LIbrary Newspapers can be accessed via most libraries in the UK and viewed in the comfort of your own home!

I see you are living in South Africa so unlikely to have a library card for a UK library.
        You can however become a member of Lancashire LIbrary as they seem to accept anyone from anywhere.

Click on the following link and complete the online membership form - you will then be sent a password by email.
        Elaine

Comment

You might also find it useful trying to find wills for some of the family -they often disclose useful snippets of information.
          There are quite a few Wilesmiths listed on the National Probate Calendar 1861-1941 database, recently added to Ancestry.

You can apply for copies of the wills/probate for five pounds sterling each.

Originally posted by pogulis View Post
          Dr Carl Chinn did several newspaper articles on the Lloyd family resently in the Birmingham newspaper but I can find anything or the articles, do you know where I can look.
          No idea if these are available online. You may have to contact Birmingham LIbrary.
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine, I have registered with the Lancashire library, I will start tackling and see what I can find, as for the Birmingham Archivesm have not been able to apply for membership on this site.

Thank you for your assistance
            Michelle

Comment

Hi Michell
              I have 290 pages drafted of the Wilesmith Family from Worcester including the full story of the Timber Mercahnts and their families 18 years of research in total including the sorry saga of Mary Dorcas Wilesmith in full plus much much more, I am in direct contact with the Maurice Gerald Lloyd William grand son of Mary Selina (nee Jounston) and John Wilesmith junior. In addition The Wilesmith Families of South Africa have a direct link to this story notice I said two Families one is a derict link the other a indirect and complex association linked to Mary Dorcas Wilesmith.
              Last edited by Bob Wilesmith; 03-02-12, 13:43.

Comment

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately Michelle hasn't logged in for some time. Can I suggest you send her a private message (click on her name to the left of her post and you will see an option for this.) Providing her email address is still current, she will receive an email notification that a message has been received.
                Elaine

Comment

Working...
                X