Hollows, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollows, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire

Can anyone tell me if Hollows in Canonbie still has a blacksmith's forge, whether used or not. My gt. gt. gt. grandfather, George Scott was a blacksmith there, certainly from when the census of 1841 was compiled, until he died in 1873. His son, Robert Scott, continued as Blacksmith, certainly until 1891. Although I have been unable to fina a death date for Robert, he does not appear after the 1891 census, so I am assuming he died between 1891 and 1901. As I am going to Scotland in October this year, and wish to visit some of my ancestors villages, it would be helpful to know if his place of work, and home still exist.

Hi, just tried various 'googling' and not much coming up as to whether the forge is still there, however I have just looked on google maps and then the interactive map and some of the buildings certanly look like they could of been forges! I also tried using royal mail's postcode finder using names such as the old forge or blacksmiths cottage etc but no luck so far! As for Roberts death click the following link and scroll down towards the bottom- http://longtown19.website.orange.co....scott.113.html
    Hope this is of some help
    Tessie

Comment

This has been a great help, thank you so much. One of the things I want are photographs of where my family are buried, and it was my intention to visit the churchyard at Canonbie to look for George Scott and his wife Ann Hogg. Now I know the stone is definitely there, and their are memorials on it to others of the family as well. I know I will not be wasting my time. Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
      X