Army Records: What is in them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Records: What is in them?

My gran has applied for her father's army records and was wondering if anyone else has done the same?
    What information can she expect to be included, will there be a photo? and how long on average do they take to send the information?

Thanks

Scorpioleah,

What time period would this be in relation to? The records tend to vary over time.

moulie
    Luke Mouland
    Genealogist, Historian & Writer
    Kith & Kin Research
    Blog: www.kithandkinresearch.posterous.com

Comment

He married in 1939 and joined soon after, Not sure how long he was in for.

Comment

I got my father's which were for WW2 and they simply had his service history, where he went and how many days at each location, there is also his medical history, and the ranks he held. There is also details of any misdemeanour committed eg my father was late back from his leave and got a fine!
        No photos though I'm afraid.
        Margaret

Comment

That sounds great, interesting as we do not know any of that.
          How long did it take to recieve them?

Comment

Last year I ordered the service papers of my great-grandfather, who served with the Colstream Guards in the Second World War. I obtained these from the Guards museum and they reached me within a week of my application; very good service.

In relation to what the records contain, it can be a whole host of information. The address, birthplace, nationality, birth date and marital status will most likely be included. It is also probable that it mentions if he had served previously in any branch of the armed forces.

Particulars as to marriage might be recorded, possibly giving the marriage date and place, his spouse, her nationality and her marital status. In addition, details of his children, their birth dates and birth places may also be recorded.

Further personal information, such as eye colour, hair colour, weight and height can be given, as well as a note of any distinctive marks, such as tattoos or scars. Medical records may be included, showing the results of his medical examination and perhaps any wounds or afflictions he suffered from, during his service.

Notes of his postings and their relevant dates may also be expected. As well as these, promotions might be detailed. You may also learn of offences committed during his service and the subsequent punishments received. I would also expect a discharge date, place and reason, upon his leaving the services.

Really, this is only a rough guide to what you may receive - you may learn more or even less. Unfortunately, a photograph isn't usually included.

I hope this is of some help. Good luck in your research.

moulie1
            Last edited by moulie11; 25-08-10, 13:06.
            Luke Mouland
            Genealogist, Historian & Writer
            Kith & Kin Research
            Blog: www.kithandkinresearch.posterous.com

Comment

I had to wait abt 9mths for the records I'd applied for from service in WW2
              WendyP

Comment

Thanks everyone

WendyP - That sounds like such a long wait! is that usual?

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioleah View Post
                  That sounds great, interesting as we do not know any of that.
                  How long did it take to recieve them?
                  I got mine after about a month, so quite quick really. I suppose it might depend how readily accessible the records are, I know that government departments store things in huge warehouses operated by private companies and some locations are better than others at retrieving and sending papers on.
                  Good luck though and I hope it's not too long a wait for you.
                  Margaret

Comment

forgot say I got the records abt 4 years ago and at the time was told it could take abt 6mths
                    WendyP

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                      It's been around 2 weeks so, hopefully not much longer.
                      Will be nice for my nan to have a nose at what her dad was up to, as that generation did not like talking about it, the info doesn't get passed down then

Comment

might have a surprise like I did when I sent for my Fathers ? Seems he was in North Africa when I would have been conceived ?

Comment

Lol Val - I always doubted that one of my aunts was my grandad's daughter as she was born (before my grandparents wed!!) whilst he was WW2. When we got his records it showed that he actually had leave when she would have been conceived!! phew! (I'm so sorry for doubting my lovely nan!!!)

Comment

I was quite pleased actually as I hated him lol

Comment

Working...
                            X