Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillingdon - where buried?

Hi everyone,

A friend has asked if I can track down where her grandfather was buried. I've drawn a blank so far and wondering if anybody could give me some pointers?

Alfred Moody Evans - died 13/1/1950, Denecroft Crescent, Hillingdon, Uxbridge.

Have tried Hillingdon council - no records, they recommended checking with St Andrews Hillingdon Rd and St John the Baptist Uxbridge Rd, no luck there either.

Any advice welcome, thanks in advance.

hi do you know for sure that he was buried not cremated? My relatives from this area were cremated at breakspear crematorium in ruislip so that might be worth a try?

Comment

Hi, Maybe he was buried/cremated where he was born, if he wasn't born in Hillington...Just an Idea...

Jules x

Researching/ MADGWICK, RAMUS, PONT, MITCHELL, CHAMPION, GOSSLING, VAN STAADEN.

Comment

Originally posted by darannon View Post
        hi do you know for sure that he was buried not cremated? My relatives from this area were cremated at breakspear crematorium in ruislip so that might be worth a try?
        Snap, just what I was about to say!
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

As well as Breakspear Crem, there's also a Cemetery in Chestnut Avenue, Northwood, to the north of the London Borough of Hillingdon. But of course he might have been buried in a family plot or cremated elsewhere, depending on where other relatives lived. Do you know where his wife was buried?
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell, Hayes or Hillingdon Borough is my home, I lived for three years just across the way from Denescroft & I have never heard of anyone from there being cremated anywhere but Breakspear. That is where I said goodbye to the remains of my parents, my lovely man & too many family members & friends to think about.

I've just checked out my Hillingdon Official Guide & Street Plan from abt 1983 & that cemetary that Nell found is a possibility.
            I thought it was outside the borough but I learn something new everyday! lol
            Last edited by Vivienne; 25-08-10, 16:19.

Comment

Carpenders Park Cemetery and Crematorium is about 7 miles away, but there's no online index of burials. (My Grandpa was buried there and he lived nearly 10 miles away.)
              Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Hallo Vivienne

I used to live in Northwood but its only since we moved that I found husband's gt grandmother is buried in the cemetery there!

Before we lived in Northwood I had a flatshare for nearly a year in Eastcote.

Husband's family lived in South Ruislip and he worked at Uxbridge Library for a while.

Small world!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                  Hallo Vivienne

I used to live in Northwood but its only since we moved that I found husband's gt grandmother is buried in the cemetery there!

Before we lived in Northwood I had a flatshare for nearly a year in Eastcote.

Husband's family lived in South Ruislip and he worked at Uxbridge Library for a while.

Small world!
                  Even smaller Nell, when I was 16 I lived in Eastcote working as a 'mothers help'!

Comment

Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
                    Even smaller Nell, when I was 16 I lived in Eastcote working as a 'mothers help'!
                    When I was a small child I lived in Eastcote and went to Canon Lane Primary School. Which is a long way from Somerset, where I live now!
                    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Fifty Years ago I lived in Mellow Lane Hillingdon, went to school in Hayes.
                      I bet its changed a bit since.

Comment

It's changed a lot - my dad grew up there and he went to mellow lane school too (which is still there) - the main changes are more buildings and more traffic - when i've been to hillingdon hospital with my dad he points out all the areas around there that used to be farms and orchards. In fact when he was a child in the second world war he didn't get evacuted as they said Hayes was already in the countryside!

Comment

Golly the world is definitely getting smaller, are you following me Sal? :D

I've just checked an old diary & see it was 1961 that I lived for a very short while in Coteford Close, Eastcote.
                          I can't find Canon Lane on my map Sal, was it anywhere near Fore Street which is where Coteford Close is?

darannon, it definitely was countryside when I was growing up there & my parents moved there in 1940 when they were bombed out of the East End.

Comment

to add to the possible places already mentioned, i have checked details with my dad and it turns out that my grandad (d1965) was actually cremated at south middlesex crematorium, hanworth rd, hanworth which is in the borough of hounslow. No-one is quite sure why this was, as he lived and died in hayes, but it may help you?
                            Darannon

Comment

I've found loads of mine by checking the local newspapers for death announcements.
                              Jay

Comment

Golly! It's not as though Eastcote is very large, is it! I used to live in Lime Grove, parallel to Field End Road, very handy for the tube, shops and library as well as the laundrette!

Comment

Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
                                  Golly the world is definitely getting smaller, are you following me Sal? :D

I've just checked an old diary & see it was 1961 that I lived for a very short while in Coteford Close, Eastcote.
                                  I can't find Canon Lane on my map Sal, was it anywhere near Fore Street which is where Coteford Close is?

darannon, it definitely was countryside when I was growing up there & my parents moved there in 1940 when they were bombed out of the East End.
                                  My fault - I spelled it wrongly! It was Cannon Lane; I've just googled it and the address is Cannonbury Avenue, Pinner HA5 1TS I used to walk through the alleyway from the playground to Boundary Road, and then to North View, where I lived.

Comment

Thanks darannon, we have assumed it's a burial for the mo. but will look into your suggestion, thanks v.much.

Comment

There's a thought. We'd assumed he was buried near where he died. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks again - I'll add it to the list of alternatives!

Comment

Working...
                                        X