Elusive parents of Herbert Charles Codd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elusive parents of Herbert Charles Codd

I am trying to break through my most frustrating brick wall. I have been looking for a couple of years for the birth/baptism or census for Herbert Charles Codd and his family so that I can take this line back further.

Herbert Charles Codd served in the British Army then moved to the Indian Army. He was of English nationality (NB. CWGC record him as Indian but marriage cert and birth cert for son record him as English) and his Grandaughter "believes" him to have been born in the UK to a London family. (No proof)

Date of Birth Apr 1874 (from Army Short Service papers) or 1877 (from marriage certificate).Died 19 Mar 1920 Meerut, India.

Father Charles Herbert Codd, Occupation MD, which I assumed to be a Doctor but may be wrong. Father recorded as deceased in 1903.

Marriage 1 to Alice Johannah Brien on 7 Aug 1901 in St Thomas Mount, Madras, India. She died 18 Jun 1902 Pallavarum, Madras, India.

Marriage 2 (my line) to Muriel Wilhelmina Fletcher on 23 Feb 1903 in Bezwada, India.

Children from 2nd marriage
    Wilhelmina Sophia Lydia Betsy Codd b 12 Jan 1910, Viziangram, India. d 22 Apr 1910 Rajamundry, Madras, India

Charles Victor Codd b 10 May 1911, Viziangram, India. Believed to have remained in India after independence in 1947.

Ada Muriel Codd b 19 May 1916, Madura, India d 2008, Cheltenham UK
    Marriage 1 Herbert/Hubert Edward Trutwein 25 Apr 1934 Vepery, Madras, India
    Marriage 2 Leonard Bennett. Returned to UK in 1947.

Any help greatly appreciated, many thanks.
    Helen in Glos

Have you tried the GMC registers on ancestry? they list all the MD's in the UK over a lengthy period.
    Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret

I couldn't find him in them when they were first published on ancestry but haven't checked again. Sadly I have subscribed to FMP this time so can't access the Ancestry records at the mo.
      Helen in Glos

Comment

I don't think they have been updated at all on ancestry, but will have a look for you when I get chance later.
        Margaret

Comment

What about this birth: Q3 1854, Codd Charles Herbert, Newark 7b 273? Can't find a death: did he die abroad? Can't find anything obvious for son - re. year of birth (a)depending when he joined up he may have overstated his age hence 1874 or (b) understated his age on marriage if his wife was a lot younger than him - what age does his death cert. give?

Comment

The death for the one Bertie has found is Mar 1893 aged 38. Sleaford.

Sleaford is in Lincs and Newark is Notts but not too far from each other
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thank you all.

Re death of Herbert Charles Codd, I have not found ref for death cert (will probably need trip to British Library) so only have date from Army Short Service papers dated 26 Oct 1916 where he gave his age as 42 yrs and 6 months and the marriage certificate dated 23 Feb 1903 where his age is recorded as 26. I do agree he could easily have manipulated it to make himself a few years younger.

I have tried in vain to follow Charles Herbert Codd b Q3 Newark district through census both forwards from his birth and backwards from his death but have made a real mess of it, confusing the Charles Codd b 1855/6 in Lincolnshire. If anyone can see him clearly I would be very grateful, otherwise I will try with a clear head tomorrow.
              Helen in Glos

Comment

Working...
              X