Query regarding Wills on Ancestry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query regarding Wills on Ancestry.

I am lucky enough to have found the wills of 4 close family.

It gives some information, is that all there will be on the copy wills or do you get more?

Thanks

Linda

I think you usually get a full copy of what is said so you should get names etc and even distribution of items from the home. They can be very helpful in identifying other relatives that you didn't previously know about or have found.
    The ones I've got have been brilliant for giving an insight into the type of lives my ancestors were living from the descriptions of their furniture and jewellery they give away.
    I think it's probably worth a punt for £5 each.
    Margaret

Comment

Sometimes there can be pages and pages of a will in convoluted legal language, others simply just leave all to one person. You just can't tell. Maiden aunts are my favourite as they tend to leave small bequests to lots of relatives.

Comment

Thanks to both of you. One of mine is a maiden Aunt (my Grandad'sd sister) so hopefully I may find out some good information.

Linda

Comment

I love the fact that in wills you can find out married names for daughters (if you don't already know them this is a godsend) and as previously said the wills give an insight into the lives of our ancestors.
          I have one will where the deceased leaves his piano to a son, his chest of drawers to another, and I love this personal aspect.

So worth buying...

Comment

I agree Goldbettyboop, my gt gt grandmother left only her washstand, basin and jug to her step-son who was the first born son and who should by rights have had the major part of her estate but she left the business and 2 houses to her own son who was the youngest - talk about favouritism!
            I went right off her after seeing that. LOL
            Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              I agree Goldbettyboop, my gt gt grandmother left only her washstand, basin and jug to her step-son who was the first born son and who should by rights have had the major part of her estate but she left the business and 2 houses to her own son who was the youngest - talk about favouritism!
              I went right off her after seeing that. LOL
              Margaret
              Surely not surprising that someone would favour their own child over someone else's?

But anyway, it's hardly fair to judge without first-hand knowledge of the personalities involved. The first chap could have been a complete waster for all we know.

Comment

I love the fact that in wills you can find out married names for daughters (if you don't already know them this is a godsend)
                I used that aspect the other way around... I had deduced a likely clump of family for the mother on the basis of a child's middle name ("Pafoot"). It was another generation further back - i.e. the mother's mother's maiden name - but I demonstrated the validity of my theory by getting the copies of some Wills, and they described the mother's relationship to the "clump" I'd found, and identified her husband's name, to make it a certainty that I really had picked up the correct line.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Blackberry View Post
                  Surely not surprising that someone would favour their own child over someone else's?

But anyway, it's hardly fair to judge without first-hand knowledge of the personalities involved. The first chap could have been a complete waster for all we know.
                  I would agree if I didn't know that the step son (my great grandfather) was actually the waster and ran the business into the ground and died penniless some years later!
                  margaret

Comment

Working...
                  X