• Show
Clear All

• stuck for 30 years- please help

Hi
    researching my family since I was in my 20's
    Need help finding minnie opie born 1877 in cornwall
    there is one in 1891 census born bere alston but cannot find her birth
    thanks

The surname is unusual and may have 'suffered' bad transcription ?

Comment

Originally posted by deniseann View Post
      Hi
      researching my family since I was in my 20's
      Need help finding minnie opie born 1877 in cornwall
      there is one in 1891 census born bere alston but cannot find her birth
      thanks
      Could this be her?
      From Cornwall OPC site
      Parish:Perranarworthal
      Date:25-Apr 1877
      Name:Miamie Carne OPIE
      Sex:F
      Father:Henry
      Mother:Lucinda
      Residence:Perran
      Father's rank/profession:Moulder
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

yes but still cannot find an opie of any variation for 1877

Comment

Alan, there are lots of OPIES in Cornwall!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

There's Ann Clara M Opie reg in Falmouth 1877 - could the M stand for Minnie?
            Margaret

Comment

Deniseann, the one you found in 1891 was in Devon and born in Devon, not Cornwall. If she is the one living with with Elizabeth Eadie:

EADIE, Elizabeth Head WidowF82 1809 Living On Her Own Means Oystermouth
              Glamorganshire South Wales
              OPIE, Minnie Servant Single F14 1877 General Servant Domestic Beer Alston Devonshire
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

I thought she may have died unmarried in 1951
                If I am wrong then she must be the correct one
                can anyone check if this one died in 1951 unmarried? as the one I saw never had C as a middle initialon death record

Comment

anna clara m I think married
                  my g gran has no marriage record even tho she 'married' john williams

Comment

If you visit FreeBMD and enter 'Minnie' and year of birth plus Cornwall, you can view all the 'Minnies' born that year.............maybe one might ring a bell ?
                    Good luck

Comment

Perhaps you could tell us all you know about your Minnie Opie and we can start from there?
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

i thought minnie may be a knickname

Comment

Minnie C Opie died 1957 in Falmouth. So not yours I don't think.
                          Did you see the one I gave details of in post No 6

Comment

Sorry Elizabeth in Herts...............didnt realise. I transcribe a great deal but obviously not Cornwall.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                              Sorry Elizabeth in Herts...............didnt realise. I transcribe a great deal but obviously not Cornwall.
                              No criticism intended, Alan - just one of those common Cornish names. Cornwall OPC has 314 baptisms!
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Hello deniseann,

Welcome to Family Tree Forum

if we start at your great grandparents then perhaps we can help you get back to Minnie. Do you have your gt grandparents on any census at all? if so which please.
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

well family story is
                                  she was known as melinda (but all ones on records are not her as I have checked and double checked)
                                  she was an only child, her mother died in childbirth and her father was james wh died when she was 7

Comment

yes RE; post 6
                                    that annie clara m seems possible but i thought she married pre 1901
                                    my great gran was minnie williams formerly opie but as i said cannot find a marriage for her
                                    all census are different dob
                                    1901 is 1872 sancreed
                                    1911 is 1868 liskeard
                                    cannot find her on 1881 or 1891
                                    nor a birth

Comment

my gran (minnies daughter) was rosina williams dob 1898
                                      Rosina's sister was was maud who dies in 1911 aged 17
                                      thats all i know (oh they lived in plymouth in 1901)

Comment

bere alston is near plymouth and my great aunt was born in 1893 in plymouth so thought she may have lived near in 1891

Comment

Working...
                                        X