searching east end for kinchlea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• searching east end for kinchlea

hi, this is my first posting in Q&A and i really hope someone can help. I am searching for sarah ann kinchlea (nee radley) at any time after her wedding on 18/7/1880. She was married in st thomas church, stepney, and her husband was george alfred kinchlea. The address given for both is 52 charles street stepney, but i can't find them or any family there in 1881.
    Her mother, rebecca ann radley died on 8/1/1891 at 99 duckett street, Mile End and sarah is the informant on the death certificate and has the same address. But she isn't there on the 1891 census. Then sarah's husband george died from injuries in a work accident (he was a blacksmith) on 28/10/1903 - i have a small newspaper report, which doesn't mention a wife or children. His usual address is given as 13 Salmen Street, Mile End. But he's not there in 1901.
    Sarah was born in limehouse 1858 and george in ratcliff in 1857, and i have the families in the east end on every census - but no sign of sarah and george - i have been searching a long time and have tried kinchley, kinchlee etc. I don't know when sarah died or if she remarried, or if they had any children.
    Can anyone find a trace of her, or think of something i haven't tried??
    Thanks in advance

did sarah & George have any children that you know of?

Sorry, you say you dont know

possible children
    Eliza 1882 St Geo. E

a Lillian in 1893 in Camberwell

3 or 4 others in Camberwell ( William 1895, Henry 1897, Daisy 1899, Annie 1902, )
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 22-08-10, 20:47.
    Jess

Comment

This couldn't be her death could it?
      Sarah Kenchley born 1858 died Jan-March1899 aged 41 at MIle end old town - London MIddlesex - 1c 369
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

thanks for the quick replies - jess i do have those children and their family - but the camberwell kinchleas aren't sarah's children. I will have a look at eliza though, thankyou. And chrissie that death looks very promising, right age and area and just a slight misspelling but one i hadnt thought of, thanks. Fingers crossed someone can find where they are hiding in the census years!
        Darannon

Comment

Are there any baptisms for children with those parents' names for the right period? (I don't have Ancestry to check).

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            Are there any baptisms for children with those parents' names for the right period? (I don't have Ancestry to check).

Christine
            Do not appear to be any Kinchlea baptisms with Father named George.

Carol

Comment

I haven't found any evidence of them having children so far, but i still can't find them on any census after they married so it's very frustrating. I have ordered the death certificate that chrissie found so fingers crossed it is the right person and that george will still be at that address in 1901. I think they must be mistranscribed as i doubt they were missed 3 times? thanks for all your help

Comment

Kinsella, an Irish name, is often anglicised or pronounced as Kinchla/Kinchlea etc so worth trying the Irish Kinsella.

Janet

Comment

thanks for that tip, i didn't know that - interestingly when i did find some other kinchleas on an earlier census it had been transcribed as kinchla - the search continues!!

Comment

Don't know if this might be connected, but there is the death of a Rebecca Kinchley age 6 - March 1897 Mile End 1c 324
                    -given that you say Sarah's mum was Rebecca

There is this family in Bromley, Poplar in 1891, although not everything here tallies
                    Piece 322 Folio 110 page 50
                    Sherwood Street
                    George Kensley? 33 born Ratcliffe
                    Sarah 32 born Mile End
                    Elizabeth 11 Limehouse
                    Louisa 9 Limehouse
                    John 6 Limehouse
                    George 4 Bromley
                    Rebecca 8 mo Bromley
                    also a John Carberry 57
                    Not sure that these childrens births have been registered.
                    I know Ancestry have marriages in London for an Elizabeth Ellen Kinchlea, Louisa Kinchlea (both 1900 in Poplar), George Kinchley (1915 Bethnal Green) father I think is George.

Comment

Originally posted by Carol Bird View Post
                      Do not appear to be any Kinchlea baptisms with Father named George.

Carol
                      I was really thinking of not putting in the whole surname: perhaps just "Kin*", so it picks up all names starting with "Kin", plus a father or mother's name - both if you get too many hits.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Piece 320 Folio 72 Page 26
                        Parish Limehouse
                        113 Maroon Street
                        George Kemsley?? Head widowed 44 Mounting Iron Forger London Shadwell
                        John Son 17 General Carman London Limehouse
                        George 15 London Bromley by Bow
                        Edward 5 London Poplar
                        Alfred 3 London Mile End
                        So same family as 91, the occupation is now better match, George must be recently widowed (would fit the Sarah death reg in 99)

Nearby in Limehouse (Piece 320 Folio 45 Page 30)
                        Henry Batty 20 Biscuit Baker London Limehouse
                        Louisa 19 Trouser Finisher London Limehouse
                        Mary A 7m London Limehouse
                        - are only Henry/Louisa Batty in London
                        Marriage Dec 1900 Poplar (and is online)
                        Louisa Kinchlea - Henry James Batty

Comment

Lastly, after George's death
                          Alfred Kinchlea, 14, born Mile End, in an instituition in Mile End Old Town
                          E Kinchlea/Kinchla?, presumably Edward, 16, brother, born Stepney, in Mile End with W T Stockdale family - wife E Stockdale, 32, born Poplar
                          Elizabeth Ellen Kinchlea married William Thomas Stockdale Dec 1900 Poplar
                          A John Kinchley, 24?, born Limehouse and a George Kinchley, 24, born Bow, are in the military

Comment

jonnyb thank you so much that is just amazing - i have been out all day and i'm only just checking messages - i really think you've found them. I'm sure 'mounting iron forger' must be very similar to blacksmith, and to have george born ratcliff and the older children limehouse is very promising. I will spend tomorrow searching around some more - i wanted to know if they had any children and now it seems they had half a dozen - thank you again this has been a brickwall for years
                            Darannon

Comment

hi jonnyb i have been looking at some of the records you found - thanks again - the three marriages are definitely his children as the certificates list their father as george kinchlea blacksmith, and in 1915 deceased. Louisa as laura is mistranscribed from the original and her age is correctly 20, not 25. The stockdales and the battys i have found on 1901 but i'm having no luck finding the same census as you for kemsley/kensley - was it on ancestry? I also cannot find any births or baptisms for the kinchlea children which is a puzzle

Comment

Hi Darannon
                                Every site has transcribed them differently I think
                                on Ancestry 1891 its George Hensley 33 b Rateliffe(!)
                                1901 George Hemsley 44 b Shadwell
                                It does sound a bit unlikely I know, but they must be somewhere and well hidden, so it could be them. There's no obvious BMD for this family as Hensley/Hemsley and yet a lot about them does chime in with your Kinchleas, especially now you've confirmed the marriages.
                                Don't think they could have registered the births of their children, and can't find either George or Sarah in 1881, he's not with his family. Maybe they were together?
                                John

Comment

thanks john not sure how they got hemsley from kinchlea but so many other things fit. George and sarah married in july 1880, so they should be somewhere together in 1881, and they don't seem to have ever moved from the east end. The radleys (sarahs family) have strong links with limehouse for as far back as i can get. I don't know if they would have got away with having so many children not registered or baptised, so i will keep trying to think of ways the name could be misspelt. Hopefully sarah kenchley's death certificate will be another piece of the puzzle in place - i will let you know
                                  Darannon

Comment

ok, i have the family you found now and it looks like 'K' on the original not 'H'. Even better, in 1891 they are in fern street bromley, the same road as sarahs sister jane and her family. I don't want to add 2 and 2 and make 5 but this does sound promising. How on earth did you find them from kinchlea?? I still can't find any births/baptisms no matter what site or spelling i try. And i can't find john Carberry/larberry anywhere else either - it says 'uncle/widower' so he could be a big clue!! Thanks again

Comment

well the death certificate for sarah kenchley arrived today, quick service! Her husband is called george (tick) his occ is general labourer (not blacksmith?) and her address is 78 Maplin street Mile End - at the same time as her previously mentioned sister Jane is living at 80 Maplin street (tick) - so it was well worth getting and a lot of pieces are beginning to add together. What i really wish i could find is a birth registration for one of their children, saying MMN Radley to make things more definite.
                                      Thanks for all your help

Comment

Sarah Radley & George Kinchlea were my grandparents. She never registered any of her children. I am the last of her grandchildren still alive - I'm 80. My father was George Kinchlea. What is your connection to the family?

Comment

Working...
                                        X