Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General advice from kind persons please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General advice from kind persons please :)

Can anyone help please. I am taking up the family histpory after an enforced break and have found an ancestor who went to the USA in 1904.

I have found her record on the Ellis Island website where she is arriving, with her son and the record also says she is joining her father (who must have emigrated sometime earlier).

My question is - where do I go from here? Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look for her next? (I've only researched UK ancestors before

Many thanks

You could start with the FamilySearch Pilot site - there are a lot of US records on there which may help with pinpointing where in America they went

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

There is also a section on the USA in the Reference Library

Jackie

Comment

Thank you Night Owl - I will look at those

Comment

What about posting a message for our American friends to do a look up, on the appropriate census, for you.

Comment

if you have names and dates I can have a look for you as I have worldwide access.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Good idea karane
            thanks

Comment

Thank you darksectretz
              details as follows:

from Ellis Island records:

Mary Ann Duce age 28 married final destination looks like Kingston joining her father Thomas Roberts of Hillside ave, Kingston
              George Duce son age 5

passage paid by her husband (who wasn't with them)

Any help would be gratefully received.

Comment

sorry forgot to sat she departed Liverpool on 10th December 1904 and arrived in New York on 19th December 1904.

I have her on the 1901 census in Southport and this new evidence explains why I can't seem to find her after that

Comment

what was her husbands name please Christine, am having a look now
                  Julie

Comment

Christine, was Mary Ann born in wales?
                    Julie

Comment

Sorry - had to go off for a while.

Yes Mary Ann was born in Wales and her husband was Geroge Frederick I have them both on the 1901 census with George jnr but have hit a brick wall after that till I came upon Mary anne's New York info.

Comment

hmmnn, these are proving to be a bit tricky.. I have found them I think in 1920 but the thick plotens, she has remarried and george is living with them as step son, he is in the US Army but I can't find any details at the moment. I tried looking for her father but without any dob/pob its abit difficult.
                        Julie

Comment

Hello again and thank you - I was just going to tell you I have just seen that on the family seach pilot but unfortunately don'e have access to ancestry - I would be grateful for any further details you have on this.

I don't really have a lot of information on Thomas Roberts except what I saw on the Ellis Island site and his name on her original marriage certificate and occupation as a collier. It's not the easiest name to research!

As you say the plot really does thicken - I wonder if she got divorced prior to this marriage you have found? ooer

Comment

Not sure but I have now found them on the 1910 Census in Pennsylvania George is with them mistranscribed as Ducce! it states that they have been in this present marriage for a year, so it looks like they married 1909. I will forward the images and any other info I find to you if you would be so kind to send me a PM with your email address I will send them on. (I will keep looking though to see what I can find before I send them)
                            Julie

Comment

You are very kind I will pm you now

thank you

Comment

on their way Christine.. and no worries I am just happy to help
                                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by christine in yorkshire View Post
                                  Hello again and thank you - I was just going to tell you I have just seen that on the family seach pilot but unfortunately don'e have access to ancestry - I would be grateful for any further details you have on this.

I don't really have a lot of information on Thomas Roberts except what I saw on the Ellis Island site and his name on her original marriage certificate and occupation as a collier. It's not the easiest name to research!

As you say the plot really does thicken - I wonder if she got divorced prior to this marriage you have found? ooer

That 1904 travel info says that she is widowed. Cannot see a death though for George Duce between 1901 and 1904!
                                  Karen

Comment

Hi Karen

I saw that! I have her husband in England after 1904 so it looks like she was being very naughty!!!! I hope to find the American mariage now so I can see if she gave her status as widow on that!

Comment

some kind person

I am getting quite involved in this, now, would like to know what the outcome was, when you get that far ahead !! It is very intriguing !!!!

Comment

It is quite intriguing Karane I agree. I am struggling a bit to find the marriage but will keep going and let you know !

Comment

Working...
                                        X