Hit brick wall in research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit brick wall in research

Can anyone give me any advice on how to trace scottish ancestors.I have used scotlands people,Have found my grt,grt,grt grandfather Andrew Brodie 1789-1843,married Helen Chalmers(1787-1854)in Dundee Scotland 21-03-1814.Andrew's father was Alexander Brodie.How do I know that I have the right Alexander,as there seems to be so many!Have Andrews siblings.

Welcome to FTF

The short answer is that you can't be sure. Civil registration in Scotland started in 1855, so all you have to work on is the OPRs (Old Parochial Records). You say you have Andrew's siblings, but most of these events are prior to 1855 so there's a big element of speculation. The 1841 and 1851 censuses and any wills listed on ScotlandsPeople are really all you have to go on.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Can I just ask how you know that Andrew's father was Alexander, & did Andrew & Helen Chalmers have a son called Alexander?
      If so, when & where born.

I can't find a child called Alexander for this couple and usually the first born son would be named Alexander. (Not always of course)

I could be wrong but I think this is Andrew & Helen's first son.

ANDREW BRODIE Pedigree
      Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Event(s):
      Birth: 09 MAY 1816

Christening: 23 MAY 1816 Dundee, Angus, Scotland

Death:
      Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Parents:
      Father: ANDW. BRODIE Family
      Mother: HELEN CHALMERS

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Regards
      Katherine
      Last edited by Katherine; 23-08-10, 08:06. Reason: Addition of IGI entry

Comment

Thank you for your reply Katherine. Alexander Brodie was on baptisms record for Andrew16-11-1789 as father.Andrew and Helen Chalmers had 8 children Catherine 1816-?Andrew1817-1837.Elizabeth1818-?(John1820-?.Helen 1820-1886 twins)James 1826-1828.Catherie 1828-1915.William 1831-1913.Regards Ruth

Comment

Working...
        X