Police age of recruitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police age of recruitment

Does anyone know the minimum age of recruitment into the Met Police in mid 1800's, please. Many thanks
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Hi -might be worth sending an ask to http://www.met.police.uk/history/archives.htm

Comment

I looked at that site but couldn't see anything. I've googled till I'm bogged eyed but can't find the answer.
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

The National Archives in-depth research guide about the Met http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=104
        says:

"The regulations demanded that recruits should be under thirty-five, well built, at least five feet seven in height, literate and of good character. The minimum age is usually considered to be twenty years but the certificates of service (MEPO 4/361- 477) include recruits as young as eighteen; service before the age of twenty was not considered for pension purposes. "
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell, didn't see that. I could only see info on ages after 1900
          Jules

Comment

Working...
          X