Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gillingham Park Fete Tragedy, Kent

Gillingham Park Fete Tragedy
    On 11 July 1929 the Gillingham, Kent fire brigade held a fire demonstration during the annual Gillingham Park Fete.

During the afternoon two of the men dressed up as a "bride" and "groom" and went around collecting contributions for the local hospital. In the evening they headed to a 40 foot structure made out of wood and canvas.
    This house was filled with "wedding guests" played by local firemen, naval cadets and sea scouts.

The plan was to light a fire in the house to make it appear that the house was on fire. The "guests" would cry for help and the Gillingham Fire Brigade would "rescue" them.

Somehow this fire became real, trapping the people in the structure.

The last resting place of Eric Cheesman in Woodlands Cemetery
    All 15 men and boys who participated in this demonstration died including Cadet Eric Edward Cheesman, my first cousin 1X removed.

He was the son of Edward Cheesman, brother of William, my mother's father and my grandfather.

Eric was only 12 years old when he died.
    The others killed were:
    (age in brackets)
    Scout Reginald Henry Lewis Barrett (13)
    Cadet David Stanley Brunning (12)
    Leslie George Neale (13)
    Cadet Leonard Charles Searles (10)
    Cadet Ivor Douglas Weston Sinden (11)
    Scout William Herbert Jack Spinks (13)
    Robert Dennis Usher (14)
    Scout Leonard Gordon Winn (13). [Died at St Bartholomew's Hospital]
    Fireman Francis Bull Cokayne (53)
    Royal (Ronald) George Mitchell (37). [Died the following Saturday]
    Fireman Albert Joseph Nicholls (56) - Secretary of Fire Brigade. [His body was identified by the Mayor, Councillor A.S.J. Treacher, who was Nicholls' dentist]
    Petty Officer John Thomas Nutton (37) [played the "Auntie"]
    Fireman Arthur John Tabrett (40) - [played the "Bridegroom"]
    Frederick Arthur Worrall (30) - [played the "Bride"]

Full details of this tragedy can be found at: http://firemanswedding.weebly.com

I am looking for any relatives or descendants of any of the people who perished in this tragedy. As well it has become quite apparent that this event has been largely forgotten in the community where this happened. I simply would like to raise awareness of this tragedy and do my bit to ensure this is not forgotten and these people are remembered.

Some family members and others have said that they have gone up to the cemetery several times and been unable to locate where these graves are. The graves are in a very poor condition and they've been allowed to deteriorate to the point where very little or nothing remains of most of markers of theses graves.

What a very sad story and one that shouldn't be forgotten.

I've added a link to your site on our Kent page in the FTF Reference Library.
    Elaine

Comment

Wasn't there a big departmental shop in the Gillingham area called Cheeseman with a branch at Maidstone? Was Edward Cheesman related to this family?

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 21-08-10, 17:41.

Comment

have you posted this on the Kent mailing list? I remember reading this a while ago and had never heard about it and I was brought up in Rochester.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
          Wasn't there a big departmental shop in the Gillingham area called Cheeseman with a branch at Maidstone? Was Edward Cheesman related to this family?

Janet
          I don't think so Janet, however one never knows. Edward Cheesman (father of Eric killed in the fire) was in the Navy. He married an Elizabeth Jackson in Medway and had Eric then a daughter Molly. Edward was on of 5 children that were orphaned in 1891 after the deaths of both of their parents. My grandfather, Edward's brother, was picked up by the Thomas Barnardo Homes and sent to Canada. Edward went to an orphanage. I have been able to trace one sister, the other two girls remain a mystery - still looking for them. Edward would go on the join the Navy and would settle in Gillingham. To my knowledge he was the only Cheesman from our family line there. Edward died 4 years after Eric died leaving only a girl behind.

Still I would like to check into that store and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            What a very sad story and one that shouldn't be forgotten.

I've added a link to your site on our Kent page in the FTF Reference Library.
            Elaine, thank you so much for adding that for us. Its very much appreciated!

Comment

Good news received, a funding package for improvements to Gillingham Park has now been approved by Medway Council. Part of this package is to include a memorial to be placed in the park to remember these lives. This will discussed further in September. Keep your fingers crossed that they give it final approval!

Comment

Update (long over due!!). In October 2010 the Medway Council restored the existing graves in the Woodlands Cemetery and on July 10th 2011 a memorial was unveiled in the Gillingham Park in memory of those lives lost. Full details of the unveiling ceremony can be found on our web site www.firemanswedding.com.

Comment

What a sad story.

I have just looked at the web site and the memorial and refurbished graves look erally good.

There things should be remembered and now even the school children have something to look at and learn about their own town.
                  Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Very interesting. but very, very sad

Linda

Comment

What a tragic story but what a fascinating family history to have uncovered.

I lived in the Gillingham area for many years and knew all about the Dock Road Tragedy of 1951, where a Royal Marine Cadet Unit was mown down by a bus, killing 24 cadets and injuring 18, but I have never known about the Gillingham Park Fete tragedy.

I am very pleased they have their memorial at last.

Janet

Comment

Have you contacted the local paper ? This is the " kipper " season when they are usually short of copy and might be prepared to run an article on it.

Comment

Originally posted by BC View Post
                          Have you contacted the local paper ? This is the " kipper " season when they are usually short of copy and might be prepared to run an article on it.
                          Well actually its been a main story in the news for the last 13 months in Medway, Kent. We've had roughly 30 news articles run on this by the BBC, Bygone Kent, the Medway Messenger, The Meridian Television station, the KOS Newspapers, The Medway News, KMFM Radio and BBC Radio. The media, especially the KOS newspaper and the BBC Radio have been instrumental in the success of the campaign and the newly installed memorial in the Gillingham Park. A listing (its not complete yet - still working on adding the articles) can be found at http://www.firemanswedding.com/current-publications.html

J
                          anet, thank you for your words. Up till now, this tragedy was not very well known in the community. This is certainly different now

Comment

Working...
                          X