Help please, I'm stuck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please, I'm stuck.

Hi, I've hit a brick wall. I have my grandfathers birth cert, William Sulivan, born feb 1910, Ebbw Vale. His parents were John Sullivan and Margerate Coughlin. I did hear that John Sullivan migrated from Cork to the south Wales valleys, but have no idea when. I canot find a marriage cert for them, and cannot find them on the 1911 census. I have been searching for years now, If anyone can help it would be sooo much appriciated. Thank you. I will be back in an hour or two, have a mountain of ironing to do lol.

Doing a free search on the 1911 census site there is a Willie Sullivan born 1910 living in Ebbw Vale, in the Bedwelty registration district.

It appears that the following are also in the same household
    SULLIVAN ELLEN b1896
    SULLIVAN HELEN b1876
    SULLIVAN JOHN b1875
    SULLIVAN MAGGIE b1908
    SULLIVAN MARY b1892
    SULLIVAN MIKE b1906

Doing another free search it appears that John was born in Ireland.

Maybe Helen was a nickname?
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine, have just been informed by my mother that Helen was my grt grans second name, so it fits. Still cannot find a marriage/ birth certs for John and Margaret. Am guessing the marriage would have been around 1894/5.

Comment

Doing another free search, this time on Genes Reunited, it appears that Helen is recorded as being born in Ebbw Vale, which would come under the Bedwelty registration district.

How do you know her maiden name was Coughlin?
        Elaine

Comment

Coughlin, or Loughlin, it was on grandads birth cert.

Comment

I cannot find an entry for the birth of Ellen Sullivan, ca 1896 either - there is however and entry for an Ellen Cochlin in Dec. 1894. Going further on, there is a birth for a Michael Sullivan in Jun 1906, which seems to tie up with what Elaine found above. Checking on marriages in BMD there is a marriage entry possibly between John Sullivan and Margaret Healy in 1904, and another possible marriage between Margaret Coughlin and Sylvester Haley in sep 1894, but I could be just clutching at straws here.

Linda
            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Am having trouble finding the 1911 family in the 1901 census - have even tried the Haley/Healy possibility but nothing jumping out at me.
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Am having trouble finding the 1911 family in the 1901 census - have even tried the Haley/Healy possibility but nothing jumping out at me.
                Found them!

Household
                Nicholas Coughlin 60
                Michael Coughlin 40
                Margt Healey 27 - daughter - born Ebbw Vale - married
                Ellen Healey 4 - granddaughter
                John Healey 3 - grandson

RG13; Piece: 4933; Folio: 8; Page: 6
                living in Beaufort St John, Ebbw Vale
                Elaine

Comment

Your suggestion is looking good, Linda.

Possible death for Sylvester

Silvester Healey born c 1866
                  1904 3rd quarter
                  Pontypool, Volume 11a, Page 98

... and then Margaret marries John Sullivan in the 3rd quarter of 1905.

Probably need a few certificates to confirm this but it looks quite promising!
                  Elaine

Comment

Fantastic Elaine, you have found them, thank you soo much. wil order the certs. They should tell me how to find John Sullivans parents I hope.
                    Thank you very much for all your help. x

Comment

That's great Elaine - I hadn't been able to find them on 1901 -I'd looked for a death for Sylvester, but hadn't tried Healey with a second e. Well done!

Linda
                      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Have now ordered the marr cert. It was the "Healey" that threw me. Thanks again both for sorting it out so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mollymoo View Post
                          Have now ordered the marr cert. It was the "Healey" that threw me. Thanks again both for sorting it out so quickly.
                          I hope that you have either used the GRO at southport or the local register office?
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

1911 looking at the image john and helen state married 16years a bit fibbing me thinks...?
                            WendyP

Comment

Yes Wendy, I used the GRO for the cert. I haven't seen them in the 1911 census yet, don't have access. Could you give me the details please?
                              Thank you.

Comment

I'll send them on by PM (personal message) to you
                                WendyP

Comment

Just recieved them, many thanks Wendy xx

Comment

Working...
                                  X