can i have help...for my daughters mil who is in her 80,s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i have help...for my daughters mil who is in her 80,s

she has asked me to see if i can find anything on her father who was a mystory to her.she is not sure if he changed his name by deed poll or just used the name without doing it legaly.his name was she thinks Edward?witt,but was known as edward ?scott.
    he married a gladys rose brown in whichchurch hampshire.
    he had sisters agnes witt,edith witt,and a brother either by jack or john witt living in same area.
    edward?was in the merchant navy for 22 years and was supposed to be given the freedom of halifax in canda as a young man before he married.his nickname was ross for some reason. thats all the info she has on him and would like to know more if she can.he was born 1888 wichchurch,died around 1953.
    any help would be really nice.she thinks im an exspert but i told her its you lot that were the exspert.many thanks brenda xxx

Brenda, the only marriage I found on FreeBMD was Gladys Rose Brown to Edward Scott in March qr 1926 in West Derby.

This was searching Gladys Rose Brown marrying Edward.

Is this the right timescale?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I've found a Witt family with an Agnes, an Edith, a Henry J and a Walter in that area, but no Edward.

Brenda do you know if Agnes was married to Thomas Benham and she died in 1960 in Ventnor, Isle of Wight?
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I'm having trouble getting started with this as well Bren.
        It might be useful for us to know the name of your daughter's mother-in-law and when and where she was born.
        As she is still living perhaps you could send the info by pm.
        Elaine

Comment

This could be his family in 1901:

WITT, John Head Married M 49 1852 Shepherd On Farm Durnford Wiltshire
          WITT, Henrietta Wife Married F 49 1852 Overton Hampshire
          WITT, Henry J Son Single M 18 1883 Under Shepherd On Farm Wootton St Lawrence Hampshire
          WITT, Edith L Daughter F 15 1886 Chilbolton Hampshire
          WITT, Walter Son M 12 1889 Kingsomborne Hampshire
          WITT, Agnes M Daughter F 9 1892 Abbotts Ann Hampshire
          Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 20-08-10, 19:16.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Snap, that's the one I found.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
              Brenda, the only marriage I found on FreeBMD was Gladys Rose Brown to Edward Scott in March qr 1926 in West Derby.

yes i beleive it is i have been looking on the search for freedom of the city in halifax canada if any names came up but so far no good thankyou brenda xxx

Comment

wow im trying to ring her but she is on the phone will get back soon thankyou brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post

Have now established that Bren's daughter mother-in-law was born 1927 on the Isle of Wight, with the birth registration in the name of Scott.
                  Elaine

Comment

big thankyou to you all.but suspision his navy service goes on brenda xxx

Comment

Until we know a bit more about Edward Scott it's difficult to see whether there are any naval records for him.

The marriage that Elizabeth found is in West Derby (Lancashire) whereas your daughter's m-i-l was born at the other end of the country on the Isle of Wight.
                      We have no idea at the moment where or why the name was changed from Witt to Scott and until we find Edward's parentage then we cannot eliminate the possibility of illegitimacy and although he was born as a Witt he was known as a Scott, or vice-versa.

If it is thought that the 1926 marriage in Lancashire is the right one, then I think she needs to get the certificate so we can move backwards with Edward's family.
                      Elaine

Comment

thankyou elaine,val was born on the isle of white at her aunts as her dad edward we now know was walter she recalls that name was in the merchant navy as she beleives for 22 years.she said she was never told why he changed his name or whether he did it by deed poll and would love to have known why.thankyou i have sent her all the info you have found,i phoned her and told here what was found and the aunt husband was correct,they lived with her.brenda xxx

Comment

So her father was Walter ... not Edward!
                          That could fit in with the Walter Witt that Elizabeth found in the 1901 census - see post #5.
                          Elaine

Comment

So, are we saying that Walter Witt changed his name to Edward Scott? Then the marriage is still correct?

If this is the case, Walter Witt will disappear and Edward Scott will appear?
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

i beleive thats the case some mystory xxx

Comment

is there a way to check deed polls? or maybe see if you can find him in the electoral rolls?

Comment

would this be a free site?brenda xxx

Comment

There is no way to check deed polls and it fact it is not necessary to have one to change your name. You can simply notify all concerned of your new name and provided it's not for illegal purposes that's all that's needed.
                                    Electoral rolls for any known address might be a good idea but they are not on line for dates long past - you have to go to the library for the area concerned.
                                    Margaret

Comment

I suppose if you got the marriage cert you would get the name of Edward Scotts father which presumably should be ? Witt.
                                      Margaret

Comment

yes i think thats what she will have to do.but when someone changes there name its for a reason i would love to know what his was brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                                        X