William and Elizabeth Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William and Elizabeth Wood

A while ago I asked for help to find William and Elizabeth. They married 7 Oct 1739 Wolverhampton and show on the 1841 census and the 1851 census

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1001; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Wolverhampton; County: Staffordshire; Enumeration District: 29; Folio: 27; Page: 12; Line: 3; GSU roll: 474628.

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2020; Folio: 379; Page: 17; GSU roll: 87424.

There after they disappear. I, and no one else, has managed to find them on census or death records, therefore I think they must have emigrated. Does any one have access to Passenger lists and could look to see if there are any possible matches for the couple.

William was born 1811 and Elizabeth 1821.

Many thanks, Sandra

I can't see anything likely on the Ancestry passenger lists.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Have you had a look on the Castle Garden website which has a number of passenger lists relating to immigration to USA between 1820 and 1892.
      Free to search.
      Elaine

Comment

Many thanks for trying to help. I have looked on the Castle Garden website. Unfortunately, there are no records which seem to match.

Sandra

Comment

San,

do you have the links to the census pages, there are too many for me to try and find the right one, I can't find them using the refs you have provided, as the search I use doesnt readily show the way to add them, sorry.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie the ancestry links are as follows:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/...h&ln=Wood&st=g

Sandra
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 22-08-10, 10:40. Reason: putting in the right hyperlink for the 1851

Comment

there is this one.. 1881 though they state pobs as cheshire

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1881&indiv=1
              Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

I don't think this correct. This census shows their daughter living with them. William and Elizabeth did have a daughter named Sarah but she married James Manns in 1862 (source freereg). Thanks for trying.

Sandra

Comment

I hope nobody minds if I give this thread a little nudge. This is a long standing brick wall and every so often I drag it kicking and screaming out of the cupboard and think about it and wonder why I can't get any answers.....!

Something must have happened to Elizabeth and William they can't have just disappeared.

There can only be four options(that I can think of).

Death, remarriage, Emigration or mistranscription.

If any one feels they have the time to think about them I really would be most appreciative.

Sandra

Comment

Have you bought any certs to eliminate the deaths which show up on GRO index? I see there are 4 William Wood deaths in Wolverhampton between 1851 and 1861 census dates.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Judith, thank you for trying to help.

Your idea is worth investigating. I haven't ordered any of the certificates. If any of the references gave any idea of the age of the William Wood who died then I would probably do so, however, non of the 4 can be ruled in or out so all 4 would have to be ordered and I can not justify the expense of doing so at present. I have looked on the NBI but no William Woods show for the time frame in question I have also looked on http://www.wolverhamptonhistory.org.uk as this gives some burials for St Peters Church, Wolverhapton, but again no William Woods (or Elizabeth Woods) for the correct time frame.

The process of elimination is still a sound idea and may be the way to go. I just need to find a way of doing it with out breaking the bank!!

Many thanks, Sandra

Comment

Sandra,

if you phone/write to Birmingham direct explaning your dilemma then you could praps give wife/daughters name/occupation area in which they lived as checking points so you can get the right one.. this then means you wouldnt be spending silly money just the £9.25
                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                        X