Looking for Clara Jane Emo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Clara Jane Emo!

Can anyone with access to passenger lists help find Clara Jane Emo (nee Warner) b.c1845 Hampshire?
    I do know that she wed Edward Emo in Hampshire 4 Sep 1870 and Edward arrived in the states exactly one month later on the 4th Oct 1870. I know that Jane did not initially travel with him as she appears in the 1871 census as a house servant.

I found an entry of a death in Holyoke, Massachusetts in 1873 which I suspect was one of their children (I have records to prove that Holyoke was where they lived).

So...I'm sure that Clara travelled between 1871 and 1873 but can't find her. She also returned to England at some point before 1888 and died here on 4 Sep 1888 (on her wedding anniversary).

I'd be really grateful if someone would have a quick peek - If you lot can't find her then I know she's not ready to be found just yet!!

Her name appears on Ancestry's new Probate database, so there seems to be some connection to a Will - in 1888. My sub has lapsed so I can't check for you. You may be bale to find out more by visiting your local library - they usually have the library edition of Ancestry.com, and you can save any images/reports onto a flash drive.

FMP's outbound won't be of any use to you: they don't start until 1890.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-08-10, 23:05.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

EMO Clara Jane probate 19 Sep 1888 personal estate £345 Administration of the Personal Estate of Clara Jane Emo late of Platt Bridge in the County of Lancaster Widow who died 4 September 1888 at Platt Bridge was granted at Liverpool to Mary Ann Corps (wife of Henry Corps) of Tan-House-lane Alton in the County of Southampton the Sister and only Next of Kin.

Comment

Hi Jill and Christine - I do have an Ancestry Sub and have seen her probate info. What I really want to find out is exactly when she travelled to and from the states - I have this info for Edward Emo and just would have like it for Clara Jane too! Thanks anyway for your interest!!

Comment

Hiya Deb....in case you don`t know - the death of Clara Jane Emo is on www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
          she was buried on September 8th 1888 and the service was at All Saints ,Hindley,Lancashire, (think this comes within Wigan now )
          she was aged 43
          abode Platt Bridge
          buried by John Alker curate .....so this leads me to believe she may be in All Saints churchyard ?

the next record is Henry Charles Emo buried 1896 aged 7 months ...same church ...so...the Emo family were there 8 years after Clara`s death....allan
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi Allen - I had her death (and death cert) but not details of her burial!
            Originally posted by garstonite View Post
            .....so this leads me to believe she may be in All Saints churchyard ?
            Are you familiar with this area?

Comment

Hi cousin, glad your Emo's are still giving you jobs to do ;)

There is not a single Colwood, and only one Coalwood on the Probate Calendar. They obviously had nothing to leave :(

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                Hi cousin, glad your Emo's are still giving you jobs to do ;)

There is not a single Colwood, and only one Coalwood on the Probate Calendar. They obviously had nothing to leave :(
                I'm on a roll with my Emo bunch!! I honestly didn't think I would ever uncover anything in the probate calendar and up pops two entries - one for Clara and one for her father-in-law!! No great fortune though!! lol I've also found new info on the family search pilot and thanks to the LMA records on Ancestry found my Meager/Pennaligon marriage!!!!!

How's your research going? I have to ask - Any developments on George 'the convict' Colwood?? lol

Comment

No developments at all I'm afraid.

I have done no work on that side of the family for a long long time. Been focusing on my other side.

One day we will find out who he is and how he fits in!

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Working...
                  X