London help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London help, please

Jessie annie Scott married at St Saviour ( one of two williams on free bmd,) 3rd Quarter 1888
    Could anyone put flesh on the bones of that one please.

If anyone has good access to London records, for a friend, I am threshing about badly for a marriage of Edward Scott to a Jane C1858 (If it is the same woman, she changed to Jessie on the 1871 census.) Edward was a metropolitan police officer so any marriage is almost certainly in London.

thanks for reading Happy days

Jessie Annie Scott married William John Highman on 26 Aug 1888 at St. Mark´s Walworth.

The marriage certificate is available on Ancestry
    Elaine

Comment

Do you know Edward's father's name please?
      Where/when was Edward born?
      Tessie

Comment

Thank you so much Elaine.
        Tessie, all a mystery. 1861 Derbey, Essex 1871 Beckingham, Essex. 1881 Lambeth, surrey;1891 Beckingham; 1901 Baltham or similar.
        There are so many Edward Scott's. Trying to get at him through his marriage? (Jane/ Jessie). He was born in c1831.
        His son alfred was born in early 1861. That would not appear to be his fathers name.

thanks for the interest. Happy days

Comment

Others arrived before me, so shall just say for now "hello, Harry, good to see you "
          (Joy Kentish Maid etc in another site)
          Joy

Comment

It looks as if Jessie is widowed in 1911 in Tooting Bec Asylum.
            Joy

Comment

There's an Edward Henry Scott born to Edward and Jessie Scott, 5 Jan 1858, bapt 14 Feb 1858 at St Mary, Balham. Fathers occ. police man. I'm not sure but I think the place of abode reads Westminster but would like a second opinion!

Sue

Comment

And a marriage 11 Jun 1857, St Mary Balham.
                Edward Scott, age 24, bach., possibly Blacksmith(?) address not clear but somewhere in St Martin in the Fields! Father William Scott, servant.
                Jessie Girdley, age 23, sp., can't read occ., or address,. father William Girdley, carpenter.
                Witnesses = William Davey and Anna Maria ?????

Apologies for the gaps! Link to record for more second opinions!

Sue

Comment

Not sure if it helps at all - but I'm pretty sure that Beckingham was an old name for the village of Tolleshunt Major in Essex - which is just next door to the village of Tolleshunt D'Arcy - which could explain the census birth place in 1861?? He seems reasonably consistent with this over 3 censuses and I wonder if he was the victim of lazy/impatient enumerators in London in a couple of others - ditto marks for a long list of people born Lambeth in 1881 and Balham - the same as Jessie is given in a couple of years - in 1901????

Might be worth trawling through that area in 1841/1851 to see if any likely candidates show up - and my apolgies if you have already done this

Cheers
                  Sue

Comment

Originally posted by SueNSW View Post
                    Not sure if it helps at all - but I'm pretty sure that Beckingham was an old name for the village of Tolleshunt Major in Essex - which is just next door to the village of Tolleshunt D'Arcy - which could explain the census birth place in 1861?? He seems reasonably consistent with this over 3 censuses and I wonder if he was the victim of lazy/impatient enumerators in London in a couple of others - ditto marks for a long list of people born Lambeth in 1881 and Balham - the same as Jessie is given in a couple of years - in 1901????

Might be worth trawling through that area in 1841/1851 to see if any likely candidates show up - and my apolgies if you have already done this

Cheers
                    Sue
                    I've lived in Essex nearly all my life and I didn't know that about Tolleshunt D'Arcy, Sue!! You learn something new every day, lol

Just Googled Beckingham and its part of Tolleshunt D'arcy, from the "big" house" Beckingham Hall.
                    Sue

Comment

I "escaped" out here from pretty close to your neck of the woods after 25 years Sue - just one of those strange things I was pretty sure I remembered reading at sometime that managed to stick - but glad to have it confirmed

Cheers
                      Sue

Comment

What a pity this info is for a friend and not for my own brickwalls.
                        Wonderful info there to cut through nearly all barriers. Very much appreciated. Thanks to all and partcularly nice to hear from my Kahlil Gibran lady.

Happy days

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                          And a marriage 11 Jun 1857, St Mary Balham.
                          Edward Scott, age 24, bach., possibly Blacksmith(?) address not clear but somewhere in St Martin in the Fields! Father William Scott, servant.
                          Jessie Girdley, age 23, sp., can't read occ., or address,. father William Girdley, carpenter.
                          Witnesses = William Davey and Anna Maria ?????

Apologies for the gaps! Link to record for more second opinions!

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...coff=1+2+23+34
                          Have you seen the note underneath that marriage entry? It looks as though it was recorded incorrectly but I can't for the life of me work out what the correct entry should read in the GRO register. There's a Jessy Gridley registered in Wandsworth in Q/E March 1855 in Wandsworth and an Edward Scott in Q/E March 1856. I think the marriage date was January 11th but I haven't got a clue what the correct year was
                          Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                            Have you seen the note underneath that marriage entry? It looks as though it was recorded incorrectly but I can't for the life of me work out what the correct entry should read in the GRO register. There's a Jessy Gridley registered in Wandsworth in Q/E March 1855 in Wandsworth and an Edward Scott in Q/E March 1856. I think the marriage date was January 11th but I haven't got a clue what the correct year was
                            I hadn't noticed the note underneath! How odd. If you look at the image (rather than the date given by Ancestry:o) I think it says 1856! This Vicar had dreadful handwriting......
                            Sue

Comment

Agree the year is 1856. They have made the same misreading of 7 for 6 on one of the entries I was interested in.
                              Here's my reading of the note:
                              "The Entry above was made in Error in a Book not obtained from the Registrar General's Office. To correct the Error the Registrar General and the Bishop of the Diocese have authorised the transfer of the sheet from which the entry was made to this register: and have advised that there be a Double entry no. 1. The marriage therefore of Edward Scott and Jesie Gridley is to stand as entered above Page 1 no 1 The next marriage on the next page as Page 1x no 1x"

If you look closely you can see that the page on which Edward's marriage is written is glued into the front of the book and the following page number 1has an x added to it.
                              Last edited by JudithM; 19-08-10, 19:21. Reason: spelling correction
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Well that makes it a lot clearer!

I've found Jessie's baptism in the LMA records, definitely Jessie Gridley (not Girdley), bapt 11 Sep 1831 at Holy Trinity Clapham. Parents William and Anne of Streatham. Father, carpenter.
                                Strangely ther is another Jessie Gridley baptised same day, same place, parents George and Margaret of Streatham. Father carpenter!
                                Sue

Comment

Thank you Sue. Definitely the first one as i have found them on the 1841 census.(Wm and ann, Jesse 10 etc)

Best wishes Happy days

Comment

Working...
                                  X