Anyone up for a Robinson challenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a Robinson challenge?

I have this family of ROBINSONs who disappear after 1881.
    Mary Ann Robinson (nee Gibson) was my gg grandmother's sister.

Mary Ann GIBSON (born Barnsley, YKS c1835) married William ROBINSON (b Oldham, LAN c 1830) in 1855. Mary Ann's father James Gibson was the Waterworks manager for Barnsley Waterworks. William Robinson seems to have filled his job when James died in 1862.

I have them on the 1861, 1871 and 1881 censuses all in Barnsley.
    I have all their birth GRO index references.
    I also have a Chancery document naming them all (except the youngest) dated 1866 – it was about Mary Ann's father's will.

Here they are in 1881
    William Robinson; 51; waterworks engineer; Oldham, LAN
    Mary Ann Robinson; 45; wife; Barnsley, YKS
    Charles Gibson Robinson; 19; assists father; Barnsley
    William Wild Robinson; 15; Barnsley
    George Henry Robinson; 9; Barnsley
    (an oldest child, James Samuel Robinson born in 1856, Lenton, NTT is on the 1861 and 1871 censuses)

This is the last I can find for them!! They all vanish and I can only assume they must have emigrated or changed their name.

Anyone able to find them after 1881, please?

Anne

Have to go out tonight. Back in the morning.

Anne

Comment

There is a tree on Ancestry which shows that Charles Gibson Robinson married Louisa Minnie Chip although it doesn't give a date. It appears they had a daughter Mary Elizabeth Robinson born in 1895 in South Africa.

It also states that Louisa arrived in USA in 1902 and says she is on the 1910 US census in Manhattan. She has a second husband by this time - Milton Brooke - who seemed to travel out to the US in 1902 as well.

Having said that there is another tree which has Louisa Minnie Chip returning from South Africa in 1912!

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
      Elaine

Comment

Yes Elaine, thanks, I saw that one and am very suspicious of it. There is another tree with similar information on (I think) Rootsweb. BUT that one says Charles Gibson Robinson was born in the USA. Don't have any faith in those .... also they don't give any other information about him.

I was hoping someone might have access to emigration passenger lists?

Hmmmm .... at least this family weren't staring me in the face somewhere ..... I suspect UFOs!!

Anne

Comment

william robinson

Hi Anne. I have just started to research William Robinson and have also lost him after 1881
          the tree you have looked at is mine on ancestry. I do know that his son Charles Gibson Robinson did marry Louise Minnie Chipp. Louise had married a Brooke but i only found a Milton so not really too sure if that is correct but i know that she was named in her father's will in her married name of Brooke. Louise then married Charles Gibson Robinson in South Africa so i am told. I am in touch we a lady who is related through Chipp's+Robinson's + I have a photo of Charles Gibbson that she gave me.
          Jane

Comment

Jane - that's interesting! Do you have any idea where yours came from?

Charles Gibson Robinson is a pretty uncommon name but I guess there could be others. I just can't believe they all died (can't find any deaths anyway!) so emmigration was the only alternative. South Africa is very difficult to research but I do know that some church records are being transcribed, because a contact of mine recently found a marriage he had been searching for for years. The nice thing was that SA marriages appear to have the place of birth of the bride and groom on.

All I know about mine lot is at the top of the thread. They are blood relations but not that close! I would be most interested to hear anything you find out about them. PM me your email address if you wish.

Anne

Comment

Hi Anne I just off to work will pm you later. I'm sure we are both looking at the same family. :o

Comment

Working...
              X