Father's Birthplace: England
    Mother's Name: Caroline
    Mother's Birthplace: England
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B01270-3
    System Origin: Massachusetts-EASy
    Source Film Number: 2026621
    Reference Number: v 3 p 59
    Collection: Massachusetts Deaths and Burials, 1795-1910

This is a relation of mine and I've been looking for his death for a while now so it was great to stumble across it!!!

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of ordering death certs from the states in particular Massachusetts?

Deb

I haven't any experience in US research but you could try contacting the Massachusetts archives:

or the New England Genealogy Society would be able to give you advice.
    Jenny

Comment

The BMD certs (Vital Events) have to be ordered from individual states - it's one of those occasions when you are reminded that the USA is a collection of states working together, not a single unified state. A number of them use an online ordering firm VitalChek, which allows for credit card ordering - but you have to have an exact date (which you have).

This appears to be the official info:

This is the state BMD database search: http://www.sec.state.ma.us/vitalreco...rdsSearch.aspx
      It appears to give you the equivalent of a GRO reference, though I can't see quite how you can use it...
      http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcre....htm#duplicate is the link with info about obtaining copies - but it's not obvious how it's dealt with for non-US residents. If you scroll up, there's info about contacting them by email. I guess that would be best, to start with.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-08-10, 18:08.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank You Jenny and Christine!! Thanks to your link I have just uncovered this:-

Emo (Male) Holyoke 1879 304 361 Birth

Emo Henry E. Holyoke 1882 331 400 Birth

Emo Albert E. Holyoke 1873 257 17 Death
        Emo Edward Holyoke 1888 391 403 Death
        Emo Henry E. Holyoke 1883 346 371 Death
        Emo Herbert A. Holyoke 1880 319 354 Death

I had no previous knowledge of Edward's children!! Now I have 6 certs to try and order!

I thought I could have struck lucky with Vitalchek but they only offer certified copies from 1916 (I think they were $48 each!!!). I'm gonna email the state archives and ask for some advice on overseas orders.

I also found on ancestry Edwards Emo's naturalization info and he was also listed in the holyoke directory - he was an employee of Parsons paper company!!

Thanks again!

Comment

That's really pleasing! Good luck with your next steps.

You'll find US certs are more expensive than UK ones, but they usually have more info. If you're only getting an uncertified copy it may not be very expensive at all.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X