No announcement yet.

Find My Past Blog - Success story - fully indexed births and Chelsea Pensioners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - Success story - fully indexed births and Chelsea Pensioners

Read the following story we received from Jan Pearce from Grantham, Lincolnshire. Jan found vital information for her family tree in our fully indexed birth records and Chelsea Pensioner British Army Service records:

‘My husband’s grandmother seemed to exist only in people’s memories, on censuses, and on marriage and death certificates. I couldn’t track her birth record although it was consistently shown as Southampton. Was Alice Maud found under a cabbage? Did the stork bring her?

My husband doesn’t know how he came by them, but he has copies of her parents’ marriage certificate, and her father’s death certificate. I had never come across the name Dedman/Deadman before, but there are multitudes of them in Hampshire records.

The only Alice Maud Dedman born about the right year came from Surrey, so I ordered her birth certificate. Wrong father and mother. I later traced this girl to her death from diphtheria, aged six.

I looked again at findmypast.co.uk’s recently re-indexed birth records, and there she was! Alice Maud Dedman, born in Southampton 23 November 1873.

It is interesting that the name was first spelt Deadman but the registrar corrected it to Dedman and signed the alteration. Her mother’s maiden name is written as Hansell when it was actually Ansell.

Second story - I was able to download my 2xgreat-grandfather’s Chelsea Pensioner records. It looks like he upped his age by a year or two to join the army in 1814. In 1815 he was sent to the East Indies with the 24th Foot Regiment and the seven years there left him with some health problems. This was the reason given for his discharge in 1834. He lived to the age of 91, however, having married twice and fathering a number of children.’

More...
Working...
X