Help reqd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reqd

I am trying to trace the death of my Great Grandfather James Robert Iles who i believe died on or about 1900 in Sutton Surrey,i have checked with Sutton Achive centre and i can find no records of his death there,although in the street records i found that he was living in sutton in1900,his wife Sarah died in 1904 at an Epsom infirmary, I have checked every Cemetary to see if they have him on their records for the districts of Merton. Sutton. Wandsworth .etc but can find no trace, Do you think there would be any probate records or any other records that i can access to get this information

Have you found his death certificate which would at least give you his date of death, so you know what time frame you are looking at.

There is a death registration on freeBMD for a Robert Iles - 1900 4th quarter - age at death 86.
    Registration district Epsom, volume 2a, page 22

Does this fit?
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Have you found his death certificate which would at least give you his date of death, so you know what time frame you are looking at.

There is a death registration on freeBMD for a Robert Iles - 1900 4th quarter - age at death 86.
      Registration district Epsom, volume 2a, page 22

Does this fit?

Elaine
      Thank you for replying,
      That was his uncle
      My Grandfather was born in 1844 and i know that sometimes he was called Robert,so by my calculation he would have been 56 years of age.
      I did find another James Iles who died in 1917 but he was born in Reading and died in Kingston
      I cannot understand why there should be no records of his death,and it has stumped me for years

Comment

In 1901, there's a James Iles, 55, with wife Mary, 38, and children Ernest, Ella, George and Catherine, in Station Road, Hampton, Middlesex/Surrey. I suspect that's the one who died in Kingston. He was born in Coleshill, Berkshire.

There's another in Park Street, Bristol. He was born Mangotsfield, Gloucestershire, and his wife is Minnie, 48.

There's a married (but no husband) Sarah, 56, born Godalming, in Carshalton - that's probably yours?. There's a son, James, 23, and a daughter, "E", 19.

In 1891, they're together with "Robert J", 44, b Cheam. There's an older son, George, and "E" proves to be Emily.

But I can't spot Robert/James anywhere.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-08-10, 17:45.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine
          Yes you are correct ,Sarah was his wife,James the son,brother george {my grandad} and Emily, Daughter,and although i have details of all of them i cannot find any reference to his death,only that the last place he lived at was in sutton in 1900 and the street finder does not have him living there in 1901.On the 1901 census ,Sarah was living in Stayton rd Sutton together with her Daughter Emily,and i suppose to make ends meet,she took in a lodger,she died in epsom infimary in 1904,Emily who was in service went to live in Wallington,and she married in 1914,on her marriage cert she states that her father was deceased.so i can only assume that he died in 1900,but so far there is no actual proof.
          Thank you for the information, My next port of call was to try and find out if he made a will,but i don't know online where to go

Comment

There's nothing at all likely in the National Probate Calendar (on Ancestry) for Iles or similar surnames.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you Uncle John for this info,it looks like i'm up the proverbial gumtree now,i just don,t know where to look. I always thought that from 1837 on all birth marriages and deaths had to be recorded ,now i'm not so sure .As i believe the death was around 1900 i would have thought that a burial was most likely and not at a cremetorium as is common today,I shall have to keep looking.

Comment

I have Iles in my tree and there is often mispelling so I take it you have checked under Isles and other variations?
                Margaret

Comment

margaretmarch
                  I have been through all the variations of the name Iles and there are quite a few ,I got into into a dead end with my gt,gt.gt.gt. gt,Grandfather born in 1791 ,his name was Eiles when he was born in Sutton and Iles after he married and moved to Merton Surrey,this through me for quite a while .

Comment

Oh heck! what a change in name for spelling but phonetically the same!

I don't know for sure but I have seen on here that some registrations didn't make the GRO index so it might be worthwhile asking the local register office to check the relevant period for the death - you might just get lucky.
                    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                      Oh heck! what a change in name for spelling but phonetically the same!

I don't know for sure but I have seen on here that some registrations didn't make the GRO index so it might be worthwhile asking the local register office to check the relevant period for the death - you might just get lucky.
                      Margaret
                      That's true. My uncle died in the 1920s and I have a copy of his obituary but he doesn't appear in the GRO index.
                      Jenny

Comment

Another thing you could try is to search the actual images of the index for the relevant years and something might just strike a note. I have seen manual entries on the index where additions have been made for names that were missed in the typed listing and then they get out of sequence and I'm not sure how that's been dealt with on the digitisation by ancestry.
                        Margaret

Comment

margaretmarch
                          Have checked with sutton register office and they have no such record of his death between 1897 and 1903.
                          Do hospitals have records if a person dies in a hospital

Comment

Working...
                          X