Philip Taylor - Northamptonshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Taylor - Northamptonshire

I am trying to find some information concerning my great great grandfather, Philip Taylor who was born in Croughton, Northamptonshire, in 1824. He married Herodias Smart and they had 9 children. Herodias died in Northampton General Infirmary in 1868 from Ovarian Dropsy and Peritonitis. She was 39. Philip was living in Farthinghoe at the time of her death. The 1881 census shows that Philip was still living in Farthinghoe with his wife Eliza. and several of his children from Herodias. Some family trees have assumed that as Eliza is shown as Philip's wife, the children were hers. There is an Eliza Elkington, who married a Philip Taylor in 1883, but I believe this to be Philip's son, Philip, who was born in 1858. If anyone can throw any light on who the Eliza was who married Philip (born 1824), some time after 1871, I would be very grateful

As the above marriage is the only one showing on FreeBMD for the period 1868 - 1891 in Northamptonshire, it is possible that Philip and Eliza were not married in 1881 even though they say they were.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

What about this one as a possible marriage .... a long way from home!

Marriages Jun 1874
      Cook Ann
      Hawkins Eliza
      Lakeman Alfred
      Taylor Philip
      Hampstead vol 1a page 1080

In 1871 there is an Eliza Hawkins b c1824 Croughton living in Hampstead

RG10; Piece: 189; Folio: 68; Page: 33;
      Elaine

Comment

Looks like the right one.
        MC is on Ancestry, shows Philip a widower of Farthinghoe, Northants.

Elaine

Comment

Thank you so much for finding this out for me. This has solved a problem I have been racking my brains over for some time.

Comment

You have been kind enough to look up the marriage between Philip Taylor and Eliza, which has helped me considerably. However, I wonder if you could possibly help further. Philip's first wife was Herodias Smart, who was born in Turweston, Buckinghamshire in 1829. The 1841 Census shows her living with her brother Thomas in Turweston, where they are both living with Thomas Trentam and his wife Sarah. Thomas Smart was an apprenticed tailor, and I believe he was apprenticed to Mr. Trentam. I have been unable to find out anything about the parentage of Thomas and Herodias, but assume they were both orphaned, especially as she was living with her 15 year old brother at the place where he was apprenticed. If anyone can give me help regarding this or if you can suggest where I might look, I would be very grateful.

Comment

Hi,

Have you got Herodias and Phillip's marriage cert? That would at least give you her fathers name and occupation (as long as she was not illeg)
              Herodias Smart
              1846 Oct-Nov-Dec
              Brackley
              Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire
              Vol 15
              Page 415

Comment

Yes, I have got their marriage certificate, but there is no father named on it which suggests that Herodias was illegitimate. However, she must have had a mother so I wondered how I could possibly find out her name. I will get a copy of her brother's marriage certificate to see if that helps at all. Anyway many thanks for replying.

Comment

I think the Trentham’s were Thomas and Herodias’s (Rhoda/Roda) grandparents!! See below

1821 John SMART marries Mary TRENTHAM in Turweston
                  It looks like they have 2 children both baptised in Turweston:-
                  Thomas SMART 1822 (it possible the 1841 rounded up his year of birth??)
                  John SMART 1824
                  Then in 1829 there is a baptism of Rhoda SMART mother Mary SMART (no father given) I think it’s possible that this is Herodias (in the 1841 she calls herself Roda)
                  John SMART must have died between 1824 and 1829 - I'll see if I can find a death)

In 1797 a Mary TRENTHAM was born to Thomas TRENTHAM and Sarah in Turweston! (there are deaths for both Thomas and Sarah in 1845)

What do you think?

Btw - All these records were on the family search pilot site..

Comment

This is brilliant, and too coincidental not to be correct. Thanks for all your efforts. What is the family search pilot site, and how can I get onto it.

Comment

It is part of the Church of the Latter Day Saints and is their new online repository for records.
                      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

If you click on Search or Browse our Record Collections, and then choose the part of the world you are interested in, it will show the relevant database collections.

It's being updated all the time, so one of those sites to bookmark and check back on from time to time.
                      Elaine

Comment

Here are what could be the burials of John and Mary Smart
                        Name: Mary Smart
                        Burial Date: 04 Jun 1830
                        Burial Place: Turweston, Buckingham, England

Name: John Smart
                        Burial Date: 05 Jan 1825
                        Burial Place: Turweston, Buckingham, England

Comment

Working...
                        X