Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping Ireland - Aust (cheaper for singles than marrieds?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Ireland - Aust (cheaper for singles than marrieds?)

I came across a relative who'd married in Ireland (Clare) around the 1860's - then she appeared to come out to Australia under her maiden name with her mother - no hubby (cant find him as yet).

But hubby advertised in paper looking for members of family - and they went on to have children together.

We may have another instance where another came out with children, but no husband, and went on to have more children with him when she arrived.

Does anyone know if it was in fact cheaper to come here as a single than married?
    Last edited by jood; 18-08-10, 05:16.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

I have a case, some time before yours where the family were going out to the American Colonies - Husband, wife and six kids. Husbands father arranged for him to go as an indentured servant, and arranged with the new "employer" to pay half the cost of the fare. Evidently wife and kids got to go free, under this scheme, therefore saving the cost of 7 and a half fares. (Evidently when they got to the colonies, the servant said this is the land of the free, I'm no longer taking orders and left emplyment!) Is it possible that your hubby could have gone out as a servant to have his fare paid?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

A lot of men came out first to see if they could get a job and a place to live before the wife and chidren followed. If you look on the NSW State Records website, you can see the images of some of the immigration records, and they show how much was paid for the fare. In 1838, the "bounty" fare was 18pounds per adult and 5 pounds per child. Ithink the sponsor paid this and perhaps the assisted migrant paid it back over time. But I know some came out for as little as onepound each, and later 10 pounds.

you can look through some of the images of the Immigration Journals -

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks both of you. I don't have any dates with me, am relying on memory as I am away from home. I do recall that the couple were married at the beginning of the year, and she sailed quite soon after - under her old name. Later on in that same year, the hubby put a notice in the local paper looking for her mother and sister. They obviously caught up with each other as they had several children after that.

Thinking back on the particular lady - she came out with her widowed mother and her young nieces. Her sister (married) had come out earlier with some of the kids but not all (which we thought was strange) - so maybe there is something in the cheaper fare as a single?
        jood sadly died in November 2019.

Comment

Working...
        X