Trying to find a death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find a death

I am looking for the death of JESSIE ELLEN CLEMENTS nee GOODERHAM between 1935 and possibly 1940 but certainly by 1943.

JESSIE was born in Norwich in the last quarter of 1877. She was on the 1911 census having been married to FRANCIS GEORGE CLEMENTS for 11 years. They had 4 children living with them. In 1935 she was definitely still alive as she appeared as present on her mother's death certificate - living at 46 Alexandra Park Road, Muswell Hill, London, N.10. This is the last time I have spotted her.

The reason I am interested is that her husband had two children by another woman in 1940 and 1941 before marrying her in 1943. Was JESSIE dead or had they divorced or was it a bigamist marriage ? I haven't been able to find trace of her. Any help would be appreciated.
    Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

A bit of a long shot Simon as I haven't checked to see if this person shows up anywhere with this name - but is this a possible mistranscription of your Jessie???

From the 1/4 of 1943 - Jessie E Clemente - age 65 (so born 1877/78) - Epping (in Essex) - 4a 407

Cheers
    Sue

Comment

Originally posted by SueNSW View Post
      A bit of a long shot Simon as I haven't checked to see if this person shows up anywhere with this name - but is this a possible mistranscription of your Jessie???

From the 1/4 of 1943 - Jessie E Clemente - age 65 (so born 1877/78) - Epping (in Essex) - 4a 407

Cheers
      Sue
      Thanks Sue. Looks like it was a mistranscription although Epping is my main worry as no idea why she would be in Essex. If it is her, FRANCIS certainly didn't hang on too long before marrying again in the third quarter of 1943.
      Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        Thanks Sue. Looks like it was a mistranscription although Epping is my main worry as no idea why she would be in Essex. If it is her, FRANCIS certainly didn't hang on too long before marrying again in the third quarter of 1943.
        Although over the border in Essex Epping is only a few miles from Muswell Hill.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
          Although over the border in Essex Epping is only a few miles from Muswell Hill.
          And with the war on lots of people moved around - from both choice and circumstance

Comment

Plus I've now looked at the original image and I'm certain it is supposed to be CLEMENTS - worth ordering it I'd say!!!

Cheers
            Sue

Comment

Epping registration district extended well in towards London. Chingford was certainly covered and that isn't far from Muswell Hill.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I looked on the Find My Past lists and they have it as CLEMENTS, so looks likely. I've ordered both his marriage certificate as well as her death certificate. Looks like he probably left a couple of months in between, although he may well have left her before she died. Pity, haven't got a bigimist on my tree ....... YET !
                Simon

Comment

Working...
                X