X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT!! Please read ....

We have been asked to pass on this message to you all:
    Hi,

I'm a journalist at The Times and am writing a feature on websites that charge users a premium to access information or services available from official websites - including commercial sites that charge for GRO certificates. It's an issue that some of your members have raised (e.g. in http://www.familytreeforum.com/showthread.php/82831-Wow!-What-a-great-offer-not).

I wondered if any member who has either been approached by one of these sites or has used one to order a certificate would be willing to speak to me sometime before Thursday evening? It would just be a quick telephone call, although it would be great if he or she would be willing to be photographed as well.

Best wishes,

Mark

Mark Bridge
    Times Money

twitter.com/TimesMoney <http://twitter.com/TimesMoney>

If you have been taken in by this type of site, or know of somebody who has been, please can you send the details to us in an email to admin@familytreeforum.com which we will then forward to Mark (as soon as possible so that he can meet his deadline!!).
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Come on, don't be shy!! Surely someone has been caught out by one of these sites and not too worried to admit it. You'll get a few lines in a national newspaper ;)

Comment

im not sure what your asking for i wanted to renew my medical card that we have to have when going abroad i wasnt sure why i was being charged as it was free before.then i heard on a morning programe there is a site that charges and i was stupid enough to have used that one.i thought it was the official site.it appears they can do it withought getting in trouble.thats all i have had brenda xxx

this was my posting
      i went on line and had to pay£9...listening to the televison yesterday. the man said when you google for the card the first one that comes up is the one i used.its not the official site...but they are breaking no law.it is free to renew you dont have to pay this £9.so be carefull.i,ve been done again.brenda xxx
      Last edited by Guest; 17-08-10, 20:12.

Comment

Bren - it's in respect of sites charging you extortionate amounts for BMD certs, way above the £9.50 which the GRO cost

Comment

Hi
          luckly enough thanks to you all I have not been caught out as I did not order my first cert for a long time (mother provided some ) so I have not been caught out

Laura

Comment

Working...
          X